COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cayman Island Advice

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 05:07 PM
mhy

Cayman Island Advice

Any advice on restaurants (mid to high end), nightlife, shopping bargains,etc. Going to Westin
in Grand Cayman in May.

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 04:32 AM
Bart

You picked the best hotel on the island. Beautiful beach. Was in GC for 8 days in mid february. The Wharf is a top rest. Be there at 9 pm for the tarpon feeding - a must. Ottmar's was probably the best meal , Try Benjamin's roof and DJ's both in a strip mall just south of the Holiday Inn on other side of road. Didn't get to any of the resturants in the Westin but they were recommended.
There are no real shopping bargains and little nightlife. The lounge at the Holiday Inn has the Barefoot Man- That's it.Do the Stingray City boat and visit Rum Point. If you Scuba do the regular Stingray City , if snorkel or just want to walk around with them do the shallow trip from Rum Point. Enjoy it's a beautiful , very friendly island.

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 05:13 PM
Kerri Carpenter

We were in Grand Cayman several years ago and fell in love with the Island. The Wharf is an absolute must; they will serenade you with harps! We also loved a place called the Crow's Nest, well off the beaten path but worth the drive...native cuisine and ambiance. Try to sit on the deck if the bugs aren't too bad. The Barefoot Man was kind of fun, no real nightspots. Stingray City was very cool, and the one thing we didn't do that we regretted skipping was a visit to Cayman Kai; supposedly quite wonderful. Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 1st, 1998, 09:50 AM
Sharon

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in November. It's quite nice and a place I would go back to. Casa Havana in the Westin is excellent. It was one of our best meals. Sunday brunch at the Westin was also good. Lantana's is highly recommended and an easy walk from the Westin. Ottmar's and Hemingway's are also good. The restaurant Eats across from the Westin has very good breakfasts and reasonably priced lunches and dinners. Grand Cayman is not a bargain spot -- expect to pay about 20%25 more than U.S. prices. Enjoy!

Old Apr 1st, 1998, 09:51 AM
Sharon

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in November. It's quite nice and a place I would go back to. Casa Havana in the Westin is excellent. It was one of our best meals. Sunday brunch at the Westin was also good. Lantana's is highly recommended and an easy walk from the Westin. Ottmar's and Hemingway's are also good. The restaurant Eats across from the Westin has very good breakfasts and reasonably priced lunches and dinners. Grand Cayman is not a bargain spot -- expect to pay about 20%25 more than U.S. prices. Enjoy!

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 09:25 AM
Sharon

I love Grand Cayman. The Wharf restaurant with the shark feeding is interesting. Chef Tell's on the waterfront is also very nice. This is a distance from the Westin. There are several good but lower priced restaurants toward town from the Holiday Inn on the other side of the street. The night life was definitely at the Holiday Inn, but I heard they were taking it down and putting up another hotel. Have a wonderful time.

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 08:28 PM
Kevin

I agree with most of above. We went in Jan'98;stayed at Westin; by far the best and "only" place to stay;looked at Hyatt - will be done in Nov (after you go) and that will be the "only" place to stay next time. We ate at Lantana - best food, atmosphere, and great friendly, attentive staff - heard Wharf was great but never got there
Stingray City (the dive) a must; turtle farm pretty cool;