Couples Swept Away... opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couples Swept away in Jamaica, Sept. 22 thru Oct. 3. Will we like it? Have privacy? Good service and nice rooms? Hurricanes bad?
Sorry I'm posting so much! I'm just on a mission to get this honeymoon taken care of! Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:46 AM

ktkatg, DId you already book this resort? If not there are some great deal at luxurylink.com for your honeymoon. Also, we have been to Swept away, Sandals, Jamaica Inn, Ritz Carlton and Beaches royal planation. We preferred the Royal Planation the best for the food, service, room and the beautiful grounds.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Beaches Royal Plantation was our first choice of AI's, but it's a little expensive. Did you like JAmaica Inn? Nice rooms on the beach/ refrigerators/ safe area?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM

No, jamaica Inn was a let down for us. Room/bathroom are not up to date (we were there last year. No Fridge in the room. Swept away is much prettier then JI. You can't go wrong with Swept away.
Are you only consindering Jamaica? If not, we have been to most places in Caribbean & Playa del Carmen/Royal Hideaway is very nice too.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Well, we are mostly just considering the Caribbean - not Mexico or anyplace else. Maybe Hawaii, but we really have our hearts set on just relaxing on the beach in the tropics... without hurricanes, if possible! And for about $5,000 total. Less would be better, but we don't want something sub-par on quality! Any suggestions would be great... Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:43 AM

ktkatg,
I understand what you're trying to accomplish and it is definitely overwhelming. I would suggest you look at some of the travel websites in the package areas and see what's there. I just did a search on Expedia for a package in your dates for St Thomas and St John. From the NY area (I have no idea where you're flying from) you can get the St Thomas Ritz for around $3500 including airfare for both of you.
You can get Swept Away-Negril in Jamaica for under $4000 including airfare for both of you. There are infinite possibilities. You really need to decide on an island or two and then work from there. At that time of year a budget of $5000 is very very doable.
One caution I would give you would be to definitely buy trip insurance in the event that you have your trip interrupted or cancelled due to hurricane.
Good luck!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:51 AM

We did our honeymoon at Swept Away last year. Absolutely fantastic and was a greta value...relatively speaking. I do not see spending the extra dollares to go anywhere else. The resort was perfect for our honeymoon. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It was also our first A/I experience and got us hooked. As the poster above said...you cannot go wrong at Swept Away. Extremely romantic resort.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Relax,Swept Away is beautiful. I was there twice several years ago and walked by it in April this year when I stayed closer to Negril. The beach is still hard to beat because they have so much room and it is very wide. There are also shady areas on the beach - which you may need in August. The water is great. The resort is very lush.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:19 PM

Hi Ktkatg,
One place that within your budget(much less then $5000) is Nisbet Plantation in Nevis. www.thereefs.com. Check out there romance package (without air). We have been there and it is beautiful,good food and service. It is a hard decision.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:35 PM

KtKatg,

Swept Away is a very good choice. We researched for several months - including the high end properties throughout the Caribbean. For the dollar, Swept Away is excellent, it is very romantic (spectacular at night) and is first class. The rooms are unique and it is as private as you want it to be.

We were there at the end of September and got married there in early October 2002. The first two days of our stay - Hurricane Lily was in full mode. We had two days of rain (we read, played games with other guests, worked out, etc.) and had a great time. The rest of the trip the weather was perfect - 85 degrees and sunny every day - with about 15 minutes of rain in the afternoon each day.

If you would like my trip report - please post your email address and I will forward it to you.

Good luck to you.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Ktkatg, There is a auction for the Lasource in Grenada at luxurylink.com. The price is very good. $2410 for 7 nights AI & you also get one spa treatment per day, per guest, you cannot beat the price. we paid alot more when we went there. Auction expired June 11. Check it out. If you're interested, only bid $2410 to start with since there are 5 packages available.