Search

Cooper Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 04:08 PM
Jackie

Cooper Island

I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Cooper Island...hoping to visit in november...perhaps for a week..if we get bored is it easy to travel to another island for a day trip? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 10:19 AM
Meg

I haven't been but ran across a great travelogue written by a man who had been there. I found it by running a search on Cooper Island. It sounds like paradise. Let me know if you can't locate it - maybe I can find it again.

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 11:14 AM
gabriele hennigar

For anyone interested in Cooper Island info, the web site is www.cooper-island.com. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 04:00 PM
Louis Dameson

We have spent a week at Cooper Island a few years back and we would go again since it is one of the best values in the BVI and a no brainer. At the end of the isle is one of the better snorkeling spots in the BVI. Underwater Safaris has an shop there and their boats can take you to all of the major diving spots and I thing you can snorkel at some. <BR> <BR>You go there to relax, read, swim, eat, snorkel, watch the yachting crowd, and dive. You can even prepare your own meals but who wants to. If you go their in Nov. get a continental breakfast delivered to your room for $8 per. Since we don't eat much we we just ordered ala carte at meals. We brought over a few items in the way of drinks, crackers, cheese etc. for the frig. <BR> <BR>Underwater Safaris has boats going back and forth all of the time to Road Town. If a small fee you can take the boat over and back if you don't miss it. Otherwise it will cost you about $85 to get back. <BR> <BR>Remember that BVI is an conservative, laid back, easy going place and the people are rather shy. Don't expect a lot of action or activity around. Most of that is created by the tourists and the yachties. <BR> <BR>As given before http://www.cooper-island.com and you can get to the BVI tourist office from there. <BR> <BR>If you do go over you might spend a night at the Treasure Island Hotel in Road Town and ask for a commercial rate(phone direct). You can walk around town there are a few things of interest and you can buy groceries for your room a block or so from the hotel. The Cooper Island boat only goes 3 days a week and it turns around in a couple of hours. You of course can go over and back with them and spend an hour or so in Roadtown. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 03:26 PM
jackie

thanks very much for the info. i've checked out the web site. any suggestions for day trips from cooper or other island that we could easily combine with a cooper island visit? louis, how long did you stay on cooper; we're really looking for some quiet r&r, but i'm concerned my husband will get bored if we stay a week. thanks, again.

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 03:31 PM
jackie

louis, i just woke up and reread your message...road town is where?? and i'm not sure i understand what you mean by a commercial rate.. thanks, again

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 07:31 PM
Louis

Jackie:Then don't stay for 7 nights, stay 3 nights. Road Town is the main commercial business center on Tortola. Spend 3 or 4 nights at Frenchman's Cay or Long Bay with a rental car to explore the island. I like Frenchman's Cay. Most hotels have commercial rates for business type people and Treasure Island is about the only place that fits a business catagory. Everything else is for tourists. When requesting a hotel room you ask if they have commercial rates available or any other special rates. You can't get them without asking. If available a commercial rate may be as much as a 40 percent discount. Get literature from the BVI Tourist Bureau. They have an office in NYC. They will send you anything they have if you call them. Also you might buy one of Fordor's books on the Caribbean. Both will give you good pointers on where to visit. Are you certain that your husband really want's to go to BVI. This is a very quiet part of the world, particularly if you are on a small island such as Cooper less than a mile long. We spend as much as 2 hours snorkeling and swimming a day while there. The rest of the time is spent sitting, reading, listening to the sounds, watching the changing light and watching boats plus people come and go. This may not be your cup of tea. Cooper is not a resort and it does not have an activities director. Except taking their boat over to Road Town the days they go or going over and back with a dive boat from Underwater Safaris, there is no easy way to go to another island.