Concerns with Villa Rentals?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerns with Villa Rentals?

I'm quickly planning a honeymoon for the first part of June. We are wanting to rent a villa with its own pool for privacy and also relaxation. Not really interested in going to a hotel-type resort. However, neither of us have been to the Caribbean before. If I were renting a privately owned villa in the US, I wouldn't be as concerned about getting around the area, and knowing what to expect with the rental. I'm also concerned about bugs, mosquitos, animals, etc. since so many of the rentals are open air design. Any suggestions of island areas to go that will make us more comfortable with the area and being able to get around - I'd much rather prefer someplace that we can rent a vehicle and have that independence. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:44 AM

June starts the rainier season in Caribbean so honeymoon expectations might be better fulfilled by July or August dates, esp. if bugs/skeeters
are an issue. The 'vibe' you're looking for might be found in many places,
Port Antonio and Treasure Beach in Jamaica being two good shortlist choices.
See the Treasure Beach community Web site at www.treasurebeach.net for a full spectrum of accomodations, diversions. Mopeds, mt.bikes, islandcruiser jitnies, private drivers/guides and boatman all available for excursions independent or with expert guide
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Any concern with "being on our own" in the Caribbean at a villa vs. a resort? Just wanna make sure that we feel safe and that we don't feel stranded while isolated.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:40 AM

hi pianograd, congratulation! jamaica has lots of rental villas and if you choose to go there tiverton has the loads of quality info. this is a huge island though and would not be easy to learn your way around at first.
i would like to suggest you also look into st. john, usvi and turks and caicos. both have alot of villas to choose from. also both are very easy to negotiate in your rental car as they are much smaller.
provo [t&c] is a flat, arid, coral based island. blindingly white, soft sand. good snorkeling. great restaurants. st. john is hilly, and more lush. smaller beaches but lots of different ones to go find and explore. also good snorkeling and with the possibility of daytripping to other islands.
most villas on st. john are on the hillsides while most all on provo are beachfront.
if you do choose provo i can help you narrow down the choices if you can give me your budget and requirements. i have stayed in villas there 3 times and am headed back in march. one house you might look at with a pool, great location in ultra safe area is www.bellasurmer.com
most bug issues occur at dawn or dusk just like home. take bug juice. the only animals you are likely to encounter on the islands are iguana. they do not really like to be around ppl and normally will scurry off if you take a step in their direction.
imho provo would best fit your need to not feel safe yet not isolated.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM

For firsttimers, it's better to start slowly and not try to see everything on any island you finally decide on. E-a-s-e into the runnins/spend more time with islanders than tourists (much a benefit of staying in a villa with live-out staff). For a week, given loss of 1 day travel time in either direction, you'll likely venture out on 2, maybe 3 max half-day trips at most, maybe less, since you're on honeymoon. Safety issues depend on island, with most villas able to provide nightwatchman
services if needed.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I'm not so worried about safety at the villa - more concerned about being able to navigate my way around, not knowing if the island is primarily English speaking, etc. We're only looking at spending up to $300/night for the villa/house. Not sure about Jamaica because I have heard both positive and very negative.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM

imo..i think since this will be your 1st time going to the caribbean and you are a bit unsure of dealing with non english speaking islands, that st. john usvi would be a perfect choice.this is a beautiful island with many villas to rent/and the price you're looking for.driving on st. john isn't difficult and it's an adventure driving around on your own exploring. this isn't a big island so there's no concern getting around. there are so many stunning beaches to relax/snorkel on..great restaurants/bars/shops..hiking trails, if so inclined and just a terrific island to spend your honeymoon. good companies for villa rental: www.caribbeanvilla.com --www.suitestjohn.com -- www.destinationstjohn.com --www.cateredto.com good luck !!!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sooooo much - that's the type of info I needed to hear!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM

If you go to the Treasure Beach area in Jamaica, you will be away from what many find as negative in Jamaica - I love the bustle of Negril juxtaposed with a gorgeous beach but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I have never heard negative reports on time spent in Treasure Beach - or Port Antonio for that matter.