Reload this Page >

Comments on Sandals St. Lucia??????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 02:53 PM
Jim Pollard

Were planning to go for a week in Sept for a honeymoon. Any advice about the Sandals resorts, what to bring, any tips, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 10:55 AM
leslie

My fiance & I are also planning our honeymoon for
september 1998. (we will be going from around
Sept.13th-20th). We decided we wanted to splurge &
go to Sandals also, to ensure that our honeymoon
was one to remember. After talking with our travel
agent, she was very honest with us & suggested we
save a bit and try the smaller Sandals Halcyon in
St. Lucia (about 10-15 min away from Sandals St. Lucia).
She says that it is actually a much nicer resort for
honeymooners, with a better beach (she said alot of
Sandals St. Lucia people actually go to Halcyons
beach, because it is much better), she also said
that Sandals St. Lucia is very crowded at times, and
there seems to be a bit of a snobby attitude over
there. Sandals Halcyon is supposed to be more laid-
back & carribean style -which is what we are looking
for. We plan to book soon.
Either way, i'm sure both are amazing - have a good
time!!
leslie

Old May 21st, 1998, 02:16 AM
nicole

lesli, i am also going on my honeymoon between sept13-20. After reading all the comments on the net and looking into prices, i think i'm going to book Sandals st. lucia. Although Couples also has recieved good reviews. if you are interested in chatting e-mail about it e-mail me.

Old May 21st, 1998, 07:49 AM
CAT

Bad review of Sandals Halcyon from an experienced traveler on rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive newsgroup. You might want to read this instead of the Sandals marketing literature.

Old May 21st, 1998, 01:10 PM
leslie

Hi Cat;
How do you access this bad review -I would like to read it, we are going to Sandals halcyon and have heard almost all great things...all thru chat lines, not the Sandals literature, I would be interested to see what the problems were for this traveler. Thanks, Leslie.

Old May 21st, 1998, 01:25 PM
CAT

Well, if you have a newsgroup reader...try that. Otherwise, you can go into http://www.dejanews.com and then search on "Halcyon" until you hit the right message. (it is a four-parter and was dated May 1998).

Leslie, if you have already booked your trip--don't read this posting! Don't focus on the negative, just go and have fun. Sometimes a trip is what you make it.

Old May 22nd, 1998, 04:53 AM
Leslie

Hi Cat, thanks for your info, I quickly found the report you mentioned & it is quite negative! I guess not everyone can be happy with every resort (i.e.: our friends went to Moon Palace in Mexico for their honeymoon and absolutely loved it to the point where they are afraid their next vacation will never measure up, but I have read sooooo many horrible reveiws including a whole website dedicated to the complaints that I would never go there). I'm sure all his complaints are valid, and many have to do also with the whole all-inclusive concept. We have never done all inclusive and I hope we like it! I have freinds that have been to Sandals Halcyon and have spoken to many over internet who can't say enough about the resort and service. I guess everyone's experience is different. No matter what, I know we will have a terrific time and make the most of our trip%3DWe can't wait. Thanks again for your help. Leslie.

Old May 25th, 1998, 11:46 AM
Gwen

I also just read the negative review and having been to Sandals Halcyon couldn't believe this guy went to the same resort!!! First I must say you cannot go to the Caribbean and expect the same service you get in the US. Perhaps this guy should have stayed in Texas and not travelled at all. The entire Caribbean is very laid back and you should just relax and expect things to move a little slower. This is not to say the service is not top notch. We found the people of St. Lucia to be very shy but once you got to know them and were polite and friendly to them they were the nicest most accomodating people ever!
With respect to the restuurants. Yes they take reservations just like any nice restaurant in the US. If this guy had done some research into where he was going he would have found that you can make all of your reservations for the restaurants for the whole week and then you don't have to worry. The food is very very goood in all resturants.
We did alot of relaxing and drinking and never had a problem with service, nor did anyone else we talked to.
We went to Sandals St. Lucia one day but preferred Halcyon as it was quieter, more laid back with more Europeans than Americans. St. Lucia had the golf course which was great but was a bit too big and pink for us. The current on the beach was very strong so most people were at the people which made it very crowded. It was a beautiful resort thought but very large.
We are divers as well and didn't experience any problems with the water sports staff. They were a very nice group of people. However if you are arrogant and loud they probably won't go out of their way to be nice to you.
The evenings entertainment wasn't bad, but again remember you are on a Caribbean island, not in Las Vegas.
You will love the beautiful island of St.Lucia and the wonderful people
All in all it was a great vacation with great value if you like to eat well, do lots of activities and have a really relaxing week.
Please contact me if you have more quesitons.

Old May 26th, 1998, 04:35 AM
Leslie

Hi Gwen, I agree with all you said re: the bad review written up about Sandals Halcyon. After alot of research, we are going on our much anticipated and deserved honeymoon...can't wait. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
Regarding reservations ahead of time, can we book our restaurant reservations a few days before we arrive (thru our travel agent)or do we wait and reserve when we arrive at the resort; we don't want to wait until arrival to find all the restaurants are booked for the first couple days! Also, what room catagory did you stay in, we read that the rooms are quite alike, just the location is the main difference...because we went a little over budget to go to Sandals Halcyon we just booked their standard room (with hopes of a complimentary upgrade as requested from our travel agent)-what do you think? What are their theme nights like-pirate night, formal night, etc (Do alot of people participate at this laid back resort?) Do they offer beach night bbq's-I read something about that. Did you try any of the tours offered thru Sandals, what ones do you recommend-are they quite pricey?
Anyhow we can't wait to go and we're glad to hear how much you liked Sandals Halcyon!

Old May 28th, 1998, 12:38 PM
laura

Leslie,
My husband and I just got back from Sandals St. Lucia and absolutely loved it!! We visited the Halcyon resort a number of times and just loved it as well! The landscaping was so beautiful - I'm sure you will have a fabulous time on your honeymoon; it was our seven year anniv. trip, and most everyone we met were honeymooners - everyone was really nice and having a fabulous time as well. I do not believe it is possible to book your restaurant reservations ahead of time, but the day we arrived at the resort, we made all our reservations for the week, and had not one bit of trouble getting into every restaurant at the exact time we wanted. ( times are either 6:30,
7:30 or 8:30 ) We even ate at La Toc twice, because my husband enjoyed it so much the first time, he wanted to go again. ( My fav was the Pier at Halcyon, where they went out of their way to serve us a special desert in the lounge area facing the water by the windows! ) We met a few couples from Halcyon, all the rooms pretty much look the same ( very lovely, by the way ) it is just that they have different views. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have. I know how it is to look forward to a vacation you have been planning for some time only to read about someone's unfortunate experience.