Coffee in Negril

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Analise

Coffee in Negril

Traveling to Negril in fall, want to know where is best spot to buy some Jamaican Blue Mt. coffee to take home, thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Penney

We have been to JAmaica several times and Blue Mountain is one of our favorites. We always buy it at the airport.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:41 PM
d motl

Blue Mountain sells for about $14 at the airport and Hi Mountain for $8 - we can't tell much differance. We did find Blue Mountain in the US but it was $42/lb. If you drink a lot of coffee it is wise to bring your own mini pot as a cup with no refills costs $2 even at the ma & pa eateries. We brought a two month supply home in March and it is now gone. We are spoiled big time. Will go back again next march and this time we will bring back a 12 month supply and keep it in our freezer.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Keely

First of all, beware of Jamaican "High Mountain" coffee, which is not as good as genuine Blue Mountain coffee because it is not grown under the same high standards that makes Blue Mountain so smooth, delicious, balanced, lower in caffeine -- ahhhh . . . you know the score. For $14 at the airport you will either get half a pound of Blue Mountain or a pound of High Mountain. A full pound of Blue Mountain at the airport or resort gift shops is between $20 and $25. I heard there is a duty-free marketplace in Negril where it may be cheaper. I would love to know of any local places in Negril that don't charge the prices I quoted above, which are obviously tourist prices even though they're considerably lower than in the U.S.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 01:11 PM
not important

If you really want to pay the cheapest price for coffee, you must have some adventure. My girlfriend and I<BR>go to jamaica quite often. Our favorite place to stay is negril. Every trip that we take , there is at least one or two days that we rent a car and drive to the south coast. Go to BLACK RIVER, Y.S. FALLS,LOVERS LEAP,TREASURE BEACH,APPLETON RUM ESTATE and BAMBOO ALLEY. On your way home stop in SAV LA MAR. This is a big jamaican town. Go to the local supermarkets and get the best price. If you know a local get them to buy for you. We usually by 10 to 15 pounds a trip x 6 or 7 $ per pound. After you do that stop in on Mrs BROWNS have some tea buy some ganga cake and go to your hideaway in the cliffs and trip on the best sunsets in jamaica

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:46 AM
tivertonhouse

There are 4 grades of Jamaican coffee beans,with the best three exported and generally not available on island (exceptionld Tavern Estate coffee beans,the best of the best).Jamaicans themselves drink tea or cocoatea,rarely coffee. The tip to buy at D&Y grocery store in SAV/Savannah La Mar is a good one;you will get the same grade found at the airport for less money. You can also find locals to 'parch' or roast local beans for you for less than US$2 a quart. Link up with Barrett Adventures,a private excursion company,and you can privately visit Old Tavern Estate plantation,swim in the waterfalls and also buy the only coffee that is pure -- unmixed with other estate beans as are all Blue Mountain brands. This is the coffee favored by England's Queen Mother and also imported by upscale purveyors such as J.Martinez out of New Orleans .Actually aged in barrels, it is a smooth,deep,aromatic,luscious cup.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:36 AM
tivertonhouse

Just stumbled across 23degreesnorth site where they offer 8oz vacupaks of Old Tavern Estate peaberry coffee beans for US$20. Have never ordered from them,so can't vouchsafe but at least the stuff is now available mail order in states.