Search

City & Beach combo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2023, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City & Beach combo

Hi all, over the years we have on occasion travelled to Cuba, always booked in Varadero. She is country and I am rock n roll meaning she loves the beach and I prefer the city..
What other city & beach combos are good in Cuba besides Varader/Havana? I already am aware of Guardalavaca/Holguin from a previous thread.
Thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 09:15 AM

Lots of lower end resorts are close to interesting cities. Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Camaguey and Santiago all have resorts close by. For higher end resorts, have a look at Cayo Santa Maria and Cayo Coco. The towns are a fair distance away, but easily doable. From Cayo Coco you could visit Moron or a little further out, Ciego De Avila. From Cayo Santa Maria, Caibarien and Remedios are the closest towns. Santa Clara is also a possibility. You mentioned Holguin earlier, other than the capital city, Gibara is also a nice little town. If your girlfriend is still attached to Varadero, Cardenas and Matanzas are very close by. And, why not just visit Havana again. I've spent over 2 years there and still find new things to see and do.
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 06:28 PM

First off, you will not find a city in Cuba comparable to Havana in size or importance. That just ain't gonna happen.
Presuming that you are from Canada, I don't think that flights have opened up yet to Santiago or Camagüey. This could cross out a few good destinations if there are no flights to be had.
Holguin province has great beaches and the city is fairly lively and interesting. And those places mentioned by Simon (Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara) are smaller cities certainly worth a visit.
You don't have to stay in all the way in Varadero to have a some decent beach somewhat near Havana.
Check out.................
LP Havana Beaches
Havana
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 09:06 PM

There are currently no direct flights to Santiago or Camaguey anywhere from Canada, but there are long bus rides if you purchase a package with one of the airlines. Holguin airport is servicing Santiago and Camaguey via Cayo Coco.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 09:00 AM

I string l'y recommande Trinidad. It's amaño but full of music and a great ambiance, and about 15 minutes to beaches. They are not as beautiful as Varadero's or the Cayo's, but they are good.

Camaguey is 1:15-1:30 from Santa Lucia's beach. And the hotels there have really gone down. I really do not recommend them. It used to be a great place for daily beach time and night entertainment as there were 4 discotheques just outside of the resorts. But not anymore.
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 07:10 PM

If you have not already seen....maybe these guides can help persuade your decision.......

Fodors - Cuba

CUBA - Lonely Planet

I would not bother with any Cayo as they tend to be too remote.

Old Oct 28th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

I would have preferred Santiago de Cuba but since you have to take the bus from Holguin these days, we are not considering that. Hopefully flights into Santiago resume.

Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Guardalavaca all look worth a consideration.

We are flying out of Montreal.

Thanks for your replies.
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Holguin it is. End of January. Thanks all.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 09:32 PM

I haven't been to the Cayo Coco area in many many years but did, for the first time, visit Ciego de Avila city recently. An interesting small city but it ain't no Havana......or Santiago.......or Camagüey, Santa Clara, or Holguin city. It was OK.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

We enjoyed Guardalavaca and Holguin city. The beach was fine and we stayed in the city for one night in a casa. Not a big city although interesting enough.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:54 AM

Sounds good. Maybe Trinidad next time, if those flights to Cienfuegos suit.