Search

Ciboney or Couples?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:01 PM
kyle scribner

Ciboney or Couples?

My finace and I are close to booking at Beaches Grande Sport Ciboney in Ocho Rios Jamaica. Any insight regarding this property, especially the honeymoon villas or the weddingmoon package is appreciated. We may go with Couples Ocho Rios, so any advice on this resort is welcome as well. Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:52 PM
Linda

My husband and I and another couple was at Couples OR last April. We had the time of our lives. The staff was excellent, food was delicous, and the scenery was beautiful. Lots of fun and activities. Entertainment was good also. We cant wait to return. Beaches was across the street aways. You do know that if you stay at Beaches you have to be shuttled down to the beach. Thats the only part that turns me away from that resort. Otherwise I hear its a great resort. The advantage of Couples is that you can be at the pool and still be only a very short distance to the ocean. The view is wonderful from the pool as it looks out over the beautiful caribbean sea. I would recommend Couples to anyone thats looking for a fabulous time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:22 PM
me

one major difference between these resorts....Beaches grande sport is on a hill, across the road from the beach and you shuttle to the beach club. <BR>Advantage is the view of the ocean. Couples is on the "beach side" of the road. This may make a difference to you...

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:24 PM
inga

We went on our honeymoon to Couples and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room and dinner were classy, sports were great, and we loved the private island.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Penney

I do have a couples sites with info on Beaches Ciboney (or what ever it is called now!) Email me if you want the sites.<BR><BR>Penney

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Abler

Kyle,<BR>My husband and I are also planning a trip with friends and both the resorts you mentioned were on our list of possibilities. After extensive research - and I do mean extensive - and all-inclusive being important to the group, we decided on Couples Ocho Rios. I have read and heard several complaints about Beaches Grande Sport. Some of these were from a friend who is a travel agent who had negative reports from people who stayed at Beaches. Don't get me wrong, we stayed at Sandals Negril previously, so I do believe that they are a great company. However, rumor has it that Beaches Grande Sport does not yet live up to the Sandals name. We have found nearly all comments about Couples to be very favorable. We will be there in July... Happy deciding!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 09:28 AM
kyle scribner

thanks to all those that took the time to reply. i too have heard negative things about beaches grande sport ciboney and we are now leaning toward couples. further responses are welcomed and appreciated--

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Kristy

Don't know about Beaches but we stayed at Couples Ocho Rios in October and it is fabulous!! I can't think of a single bad thing to say. Nice scenery, excellent food and drinks, and the staff there were the best.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Penny

Kyle,<BR><BR>I stayed at Ciboney. The rooms were great, and they have individual pools behind each little apartment. Very romantic. It is built up the side of the mountain, and the beach is across the road, they have bell boys to pick you up or take you too your rooms in golf carts. Couples is a great property, if you like the convince of having the beach right there. I don't know how the service is a Ciboney now that it has been bought out, but, I would listen to the people hear that have gone. Way to much money involved not to be 100% happy.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:53 AM
jen

I've posted about Beaches Grande Sport - former Ciboney and loved it! Never been to couples before but I will tell you truthfully that Beaches is not Sandals- not only for couples and romance. It's active and fun and there are all sorts of different people/groups of people there. If you want to get married and want pampering with romantic flair etc. I would go to couples. Beaches is for people who like to do sports and get involved. Hope your trip is great!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:58 AM
jen

Sorry- just re read your post and do want to add that I was in one of the honeymoon villas at Grande sport- it was pretty awesome, you have a pool that is totally in your villa with an open sky for privacy and there are two rooms - one off each side of the pool with one as the bedroom and one as a living room/mini kitchen. It was a great setup with the split rooms and a huge open shower. If you want to spend time in the room I'd vouche for these suites as a very enjoyable way to do it!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM
kyle scribner

jen- thanks. yours is the first first-hand account i've heard of the honeymoon villa. you make it sound like i was hoping it would be, but my fiancee has totally been turned off by the negative reviews we've heard from others. can you go into more detail on the room and perhaps compare it to a quality of room you've stayed in before as far as condition and comfort (four seasons, marriot, days inn, etc.) thanks again

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
kyle scribner

any more feedback from anyone?

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Shell

I really think the Grande Sport Ciboney <BR>would be the best choice, its new and part of the Sandals chain.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:57 PM
ss

check out the yahoo clubs <BR><BR>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sandalsresorts visitorshangout<BR><BR>for info on beaches grande sport. <BR><BR>There is also a yahoo club for couples resorts. <BR><BR>you might get some first hand info there...