cheap snorkeling trip

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheap snorkeling trip

I looking to get away for a 3-4 day snorkeling trip somewhere in the Carribbean the last week of May. I will be travelling on my own. I want to do this on the cheap, but still do some great snorkeling. I will be flying out of Dallas. I would be looking for the following:

-accommodations can be "rustic" but it would need to be safe, comfortable, reasonably clean, access to edible, preferably "American" food, friendly atmosphere, prefer a/c but willing to consider someplace where the location is not broiling hot if there are fans rather than a/c.

-someplace I can reach directly from the DFW Airport. This will be a 3 day trip, so I don't want to spend a lot of time in the air or in airports on layovers.

-prefer someplace small and quiet, no all inclusives or lots of loud kids. Something like a family run place that caters to snorkelers/divers.

-prefer someplace where snorkeling is right off the beach. accommodations do not have to be right on the beach or even have an ocean view, but should be an easy walk to the beach.

-prefer a nice clean white sand beach with calm, clear amazingly blue/turquoise water (well it doesn't have to be "amazing"; "stunning" will do just fine!). I'm a good but not great swimmwer so nothing too challenging.

-prefer a place that could rent snorkeling equipment to me so I don't have to lug my own.

Thanks.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did a quick search of flights to various snorkel islands from dfw. however, the cheapest and shortest by hours is cancun (cancun 2 1/2 vs 5-8 for others) for approx $500. from there take a bus to akumal (1hr) or tulum 1hr 45mins)
akumal is a small town with great snorkeling from the beach and in yal-ku lagoon - this site has All the needed info: http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a TALL order. The difficulty you are going to have is finding someplace that combines your 3 desires, namely that's cheap, has good walk-in snorkeling and that can be reached non-stop from DFW. The last "wish" is going to be your biggest stumbling block.

Other than Cancun the Caribbean destinations you can reach non-stop from DFW (Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Aruba) are not particularily noted for having an abundance of "walk-in" snorkeling. You may have to take a connecting flight and/or ferry to fulfill your desires.

Don't let temperature concerns deter you. The Caribbean is not particularily "boiling hot" during may since day-time temperatures throughout the region will probably average in the low to mid-80's F.

You'll find very good to excellent walk-in snorkeling on St. Thomas and St. John (this island might be too pricey for you) but you can't get to either of these islands non-stop from DFW. ST. Thomas is very "Americanized" and you probably can find an inexpensive guest house (probably not on the beach) so it might be the perfect destination for you if you don't mind taking a connecting flight.

Cancun is probably your best bet as it's one of the least exp[ensive destinations in the Caribbean.

Another area you might want to check out is Ambergis Cay in Belize. The area is inexpensive, there's good snorkeling although the beaches themselves are not great. I don't know if you can get there non-stop from DFW.

Sorry if this hasn't been much help but your perameters have made it very difficult to give useful suggestions. Perhaps if you are willing to compromise a bit on your needs you might be able to find something to your liking.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, Roams Around, I concede that I am asking for a lot. I could probably put up with a connecting flight. What places in St. Thomas can you suggest or how would I go about finding an inexpensive guest house? Also, is the snorkeliing in Cancun alright after the devastating hurricane that blew through there two or three years ago? What about inexpensive places in Cozumel or Isla Mujures?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For accomodations on St. Thomas try this site:
http://www.a1tourism.com/us-virgin-i...st-thomas.html

or, do a google search for "Guest Houses, St. Thomas" and you'll find lots of information.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think Isla Mujeres sounds like the closest match to what you are looking for... although there is REALLY great fresh seafood and local island food, you can find "american" food there too (burgers, etc) There are LOTS of accomodations that fit what you are looking for.... you can research them at www.myislamujeres.com I went to isla last fall and am headed back there next month - love the quaintness and atmosphere of the island!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Grand Cayman? Not sure about the direct flight but I'm sure you could find accomodations, there's "American" food, and the snorkeling is definitely great. (and it's off the beach and very easy to access)
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
isla is an excellent suggestion. small island all about the snorkeling and diving. some very inexpensive lodging. safe to walk around. quick easy ferry from cancun to isla. golf carts are rented in lieu of cars. i think i would want ac in may on isla.
grand cayman has the excellent beach snorkeling but is very pricey.