Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 06:28 AM
Marv Alpert

Caymans-Where to go and eat

Anyone been to caymans and have any suggestions
[email protected]

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 12:47 PM
Betty

Make sure to bring lots of money! Grand Cayman is really expensive plus the the fact that the USD is worth about 20%25 less makes it even worse. In my opinion, you might not want to go to such a spendy place if you are not a SCUBA diver since you might not find enough things to do on the island to keep you occupied for more than 2-3 days. If you are a diver, then definitely make the trip. Dive boats there are also expensive. $65.00USD for two tanks plus equipment rental. A terrific shore dive is right off the Turtle Farm at their Mini Wall. There is a dive shop right there (Dive Tech) and you can rent a tank for $6.50USD. If you have your own equipment, it's the best dive bargain in town!
We liked Red Sail Sports for their large, comfortable dive boats. We liked Fish Eye Divers because, when you dive with them, they provide a free underwater camera with purchase of a role of film. Plus, you can have your entire dive filmed (for extra charge) by one of their expert camera/dive masters. As far as accomodations, lots to choose from. I recommend staying on or near 7 Mile Beach rather than Rum Point or East End since they are about 45 minute drive from shopping and entertainment. The mid to northern section of 7 Mile Beach is nice because it is quieter and the beach itself is better quality. Good cheap eats are Chicken Chicken, Eat's Crocodile Cafe, and Wholesome Bakery (for delicious meat pies). Check out the Cayman Islands web site at www.caymans.com for more info.

Old Jul 5th, 1997, 02:47 PM
Dan R.

Just returned from 7 day trip to Grand Cayman! Lot's of fun and lot's of good eating places. You can figure on $25/person as an average for dinner(without drinks). Inexpensive is the Lone Star Grill & Chicken, Chicken. Excellent meals can be had at: Hemmingway's at the Hyatt(on the beach), The Wharf, Rum Point, and The Cracked Conch right next to the Turtle Farm is worth the trip (Try the seafood shepard pie, I think it was called Fish Au Gratin or something like that). It was excellent! The Key Lime Pie at the Wharf was the best I've had.
While at the Rum Point restaurant ask the bartender to mix you up a "Golden Cadillac" (Sort of like a margaritta but better). Sunday morning brunch at either the Marriot or Hyatt at $25/ person worth checking out. If you like to drink hard liquer, I suggest taking a bottle of your favorite with you (you can bring 2 bottles in). The booze for sale for consumption on island is expensive. When you leave, you can pick up a couple bottles of duty free at the airport for about half of what you would pay here.
Also might consider bringing along a small cooler. We rented Jeeps to get around the island and it was nice not being dependent on taxi's.
Good luck, E-Mail if any more questions. Dan R.

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 06:40 PM
Susan

Try Benjamin's roof near the Holiday Inn. Prices are fairly reasonable (for Cayman) and the Seafood is excellent. Casual elligance and a nice piano player.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 08:06 AM
Beverly

We leave for the Caymans in 2 weeks and will be staying at Morritt's Tortuga Club, a timeshare on the east end of Island. Has anyone stayed at this resort? If so, any comments or suggestions? I appreciated the information in the reply comments on Caymans.

Old Aug 11th, 1997, 12:24 PM
Ted B.

Dan, my wife and I are off ot G. Cayman this week. we are staying at the Westin Causerina. Any great tips to make a 10 anniversary more fun? Any more restraunt ideas?