Reload this Page >

Is a Bermuda Honeymoon worth the money?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 1997, 04:52 PM
Kristen Thomason

My fiancee and I are planning to spend 2 nights and 2 days at Disneyworld in late June of next year for our honeymoon, and we were also planning on staying in Bermuda for 7 nights. I would like to know if this is a good idea or not. I also would like some suggestions on a nice romantic place to stay in Bermuda that also has a beach and some good food. We want our room and our stay to be very special. Lastly, does everyone feel that Bermuda is truly worth the money we will spend on this honeymoon?

Old Jul 21st, 1997, 05:24 AM
John Cerio

Bermuda, although not the cheepest honeymoon spot in the world in my opinion is worth every penny. The Southampton Princess is a magnificent property with a beautiful beach area as well as some of the best restaurants on the island. Good luck on your decision & Congrats.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 06:46 PM
LH & JH

Yes, Bermuda is expensive, and yes, it is worth it. We honeymooned at the Sonesta and will be returning next year for our 10th anniversary. The Sonesta is large, but it has beautiful beaches a fabulous view and plenty of grounds to escape for some romantic moments alone. The food there was also terrific. The island itself is absolutely spectacular and can be seen easily by moped. The absence of beggars, drug pushers, and pesky beach vendors sets Bermuda apart from the Caribbean islands. The pastel houses with their lush landscaping creates a wonderful backdrop for a honeymoon. Bermudian children are taught from their first day of school that tourists are their livelyhood and it shows through the hospitality of all Bermudians. We met a couple on the airplane that was taking their 16th trip to Bermuda, it is not suprising. If you go, you must have a pitcher of rum swizzles outside at the Swizzle Inn. Enjoy!

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 09:57 AM
claire mcnaught

Bermuda is very romantic and special. I would recommend one of the uniquely Bermuda cottage colonies rather than one of the big hotels. Cambridge Beaches, Lantana and Pink Beach are lovely. Newly renovated is the Ariel Sands. If you truly prefer the big hotel go for the Elbow beach. A forty something couple might prefer the Horizons or Newstead. A wonderful all inclusive is the Harmony Club mid island.

Any Bermuda beach by moonlight is as close to heaven as you need to get!

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 12:02 PM
kimberly orlic

having been to bermuda over a dozen times since I was a child, my husband and I honeymooned there three years ago. I've stayed at Ariel Sands 5 or 6 times, and would highly recommend it. Elbow Beach is very nice, and extremely large. Ariel Sands is wonderful -- right on the beach, and the meals are great, too. They 4 to 5 course dinners, usually with a cold fruit soup as one of the choices. I could give you some recommendations on names of cottages to stay at, if you're serious about staying there. Good luck.

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 12:03 PM
kimberly orlic

having been to bermuda over a dozen times since I was a child, my husband and I honeymooned there three years ago. I've stayed at Ariel Sands 5 or 6 times, and would highly recommend it. Elbow Beach is very nice, and extremely large. Ariel Sands is wonderful -- right on the beach, and the meals are great, too. They have 4 to 5 course dinners, usually with a cold fruit soup as one of the choices. I could give you some recommendations on names of cottages to stay at, if you're serious about staying there. Good luck.

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 09:22 AM
Charlotte Mertz

Bermuda is a beautiful spot for a honeymoon. The South Shore hotels all have wonderful beach areas, but beaches are easy to get to from anywhere--you're never more than about 3/4 mile from the water, anywhere you are. Be sure to ask about honeymoon packages--you may be able to get discounts or special amenities. Mopeds are fine on the South Shore where traffic isn't too hectic (but gas runs $5-6/US gallon). Or consider buying transportation passes ($32 each or something like that for 7 days) Bus service is good, regular, and widespread, and it will also entitle you to all ferries, which are not only good transportation, but fun and romantic. Passes, schedules, and route brochures are available from the ferry terminal in Hamilton. At that season, every Wednesday night, there's a street fair on Front Street on Hamilton, mostly for the benefit of the cruise ship passengers, but open to all comers who want to take advantage of it. E-mail me if you want more info.