Search

Caymans or Cabo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 08:52 AM
laura

Caymans or Cabo?

My husband and I have narrowed down our Feb. trip to Grand Cayman and Cabo San Lucas. This will be our last trip before the baby is born. We'd stay at the Westin at either destination. Looking for relaxing days at the beach, good restaurants and a some shopping. Any opinions on which would be better?

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 10:29 AM
mac

We spend a week in October each year, fishing and relaxing in Cabo. I looked into the Cayman Islands for this spring but decided on Costa Rica. From my research, Grand Cayman is much more expensive than Cabo. The Westin in Cabo is way out on the corridor so if your wanting to spend much time in town eating, shopping, etc. your going to need to rent a car or pay taxi fare to get there. We went out and checked out the Westin one day. It's a very large hotel with a fairly nice beach and pools. I heard that the service is very good. I think Grand Cayman would be better for snorkeling. Hope that gives you some help.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 07:40 PM
Mare

We have stayed twice at the Westin on Grand Cayman! Can't beat that beach! We have thought about Cabo but Think the surf would be much rougher there! Maybe someone else would disagree? I'm looking for input also! I also think Cayman would be more convenient for shopping, etc! When is the baby due? Boy or girl or don't you know? Congrats and have a great time your last time as a couple and have fun!!!!!

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 05:55 AM
Lana

We are returning to Cayman for the 6th time next week. We made our one and only trip to Cabo last year. I could not fairly compare them. One is Mexico and the other more English. <BR>We had a bad start at Cabo. We did not know that the Time Share program was so strong and we did not like the constant <BR>baggering to buy a time share. It is very pretty there and the people are nice but it was not our type of vacation. <BR>Cayman is more expensive but we really think it is worth every penny. The drive from the Airport to 7 mile beach may make you wonder if you made the right decission. Our first trip it did. <BR>The dining, beach and people make this one of our favorite places to go. If you could wait until April the prices drop a lot and the weather is still very nice. <BR>Another place to consider is Bermuda. <BR>Altho expensive it is on the top of our list along with Martinique (French). <BR> <BR>If rexaxing days on the beach is important then Grand Cayman is it.!!! <BR>Have fun. <BR>Lana

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 11:19 AM
Juli

I was in Cabo last April and I wasn't overly impressed. If you want to relax on the beach you better bring a no soliciting sign. I didn't really enjoy seeing the caravans of stake trucks carrying loads of policia with machine guns either. We ate at a nice restaurant on the beach one night but has to share our scraps with the underfed dogs that share the beach. The westin looked like a nice hotel but unless you plan on spending most of your time their I would choose Grand Cayman. Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful sights in Cabo and the surrounding towns and the fishing is great but I couldn't get over the fact that I felt like I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Congrats on the new baby. Make sure you get in a lot of R & R. You'll need your reserves!!

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:06 PM
waggie

Grand Cayman! Haven't stayed at the Westin but have heard it is marvelous! GC is clean, no poverty, flat and easy to get around, good roads, decent shopping, great restaurants, fabulous snorkeling. We didn't have a single complaint. And, if I were PG, GC is where I'd feel safest of any of the Caribbean choices. Go and have a great last fling before you are knee-deep in diapers!

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 04:31 AM
PAUL

THIS IS TO LANA <BR>CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY THE RIDE FROM THE AIRPORT TO 7 MOILE BEACH LEFT YOU WONDERING IF YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE??? <BR>WE ARE GOING IN APRIL AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE. <BR> <BR>THANKS

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 07:39 PM
Mare

To Paul: It might look too Americanized? That would be my guess! Or they got the same taxi driver we got from the airport last Nov_took F_O_R_E_V_E_R to get to the Westin--slowest ride I've ever had!! LOL

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 02:21 AM
Lana

Reply to Paul about ride from Airport. <BR> <BR>We had been other islands that were very tropical at the airport but Cayman was not what we expected. On our first trip was many years ago and I expected lots of flowers etc but it was a disappointment( Drive from the Airport). There was so much traffic etc but I was very very very happy once we got to the the 7 mile beach area. I got over my first impression very quick. My first visit was by cruise ship, the second by air so I did not know what the rest of the island looked like. Our last trip was 5 years ago and I am really anxious to see the new changes. <BR>The last time we were there we drove over to the other side of the island and it was a pretty drive. Stoped at a resturant on the way but some one else will have to tell you the name. It was half way there but the food was great. <BR> <BR>Is this your first trip to Cayman??

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 05:16 AM
paul

Thanks, Lana, for the response. Yes it is our first trip to GC. We've cruised to places like St Thomas, San Juan, Labadee (RCCL's private beach) and Coco Cay in the Bahamas. Also been to Bermuda. From all I've heard, I think we should have fun. Bringing our two daughters, 9 and 7. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Lana

Paul <BR> <BR>If you can receive music check out <BR> <BR>barefootman.com/Interact. It will get <BR> <BR>you in the mood for the island music. <BR> <BR>This beach is great for kids. Similar <BR> <BR>RCCL private island, just bigger. Kids <BR> <BR>can snorkel right off the beach and the <BR> <BR>waves are gentel. Make sure to take the <BR> <BR>Stingray City trip. It is great and <BR>your kids will love it.