Cayman Islands for 50 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to surprise my husband for his 50th b.day. in the Caymans in April 09. Any suggestions on EVERYTHING for 50 year olds.

Thanks, Chris
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM

How old is your 50 year old ?

Age is just a number, after all... last year I went to a birthday party for one 50 year old where we all went to the wave pool ! (mind you, we were all a little weary and creaky afterwards!)
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

he will be just 50 when we leave and myself 48. i have not gotten a lot of feedback on cayman at all on the forum anywhere but more scoop on bahamas, st. john, st. lucia, turks and mexico. i still have time to plan. trying not to get ahead of myself but its tough when you are cold and in the snow.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM
KVR

Age is realitive. How old does he feel? Does he have any limitations?

Grand Cayman is a great Island for snorkeling or diving. Do you do either?

Some things to do are:

Get a map and rent a car and drive to several snorkel spots.

Book a boat tour that goes to Coral Gardens, the Barrier Reef and Sting Ray City

Go to the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens

Go to the Turtle Farm and visit Hell

Shopping in Georgetown when there are no cruise ships in port. By Rum and Rum Cakes at Tortuga or Black Beards.

Do a full day Island tour. We used Tropicana Tours.

Rent a car and drive to Rum Point and lay out on the beach and swim for a day trip.

Book a snorkel trip and snorkel the Wreck of "Cali". We went with a company that used aqua boats or jet skis and it was fun.

Spend a day on Seven Mile Beach and soak up the sun.

For more info on Grand Cayman try this website:

www.caymanislands.ky

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

He feels a lot younger then me lately. he is a young 50 neither of us have limitations or health issues. we looked into the Q.E. garden, hell and the turtle farm. he really wants to see the iguana exhibit. i will look at the other suggestions. thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of April 09, are all these attractions on Grand cay or did you go to the other islands? we only have a week. how is the weather at that time? any suggestions for lodging?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:43 PM
KVR

We went in November '03 for a week and stayed at the Holiday Inn, which is now a Comfort Suites by Marriott. Their beach is across the street from the hotel, but on a very nice stretch of 7 Mile Beach. We went back this past April on a cruise. The weather in April was rather choppy and windy, but very nice. Next to Cozumel, Grand Cayman is one of our favorite Islands. The food and drinks there are quite expensive, which is a problem for us getting to return again. We prefer the AI hotels offered in Mexico.

My DH will be 53 this year and I turn 40 in April. We are headed to Cancun to celebrate. We are still very young at heart. We have friends going to Grand Cayman this April that are in their 60's. This will be their second trip. They got an amazing inexpensive package on cheapcaribbean.com.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM

I bought my husband a scuba course. He's been certified now for 4 years and LOVES it! His first dives were in Grand Cayman and they are fabulous there. We also go to Mexico a lot. Love Playa del Carmen, as it's not as busy as Cancun. Loved ziplining in Mexico, seeing the ruins, snorkeling, and diving. Tons of things to do there. It's also much less expensive than Cayman, but I love them both! Try Playa.info and Locogringo.com for Mexico. You can also rent gorgeous condos and villas in Mexico very reasonably!
And, yes, it is safe there! I feel much safer in Playa than Cancun.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Oops! Meant to say I bought him the scuba course for his 50th birthday! This past year, I bought him an Advanced Diving course.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Everthing for 50 year olds:

Dining at Calypso Grill

Relaxing in your room or at the spa of the Ritz Hotel on Seven Mile Beach

Driving out to to tour Pedro St. James Castle

Relaxing on the deck of the Cracked Conch on a Wednesday Night

Dancing to oldies but goodies at Royal Palms on a Friday Night

Live jazz (if they still have it) at Sapphires on a Monday Night

more Cayman Island info...

http://caymanjuice.blogspot.com

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cayman Islands is a great relaxing vacation spot. We found the people friendly, the food very good, and the snorkeling fantastic. Definitely go snorkeling. You may want to take a boat trip. It is a lot of fun. We went to stingray city.
My husband and teenage daughter went scubadiving and loved it. They both can't wait to go again on any vacation that would offer scuba.

Definitely walk the beach at night. We found families and couples walking from dinner back to their hotels/condos at night. We stayed at the Marriott. It was nice. The Ritz had our fav restaurant 7 prime cuts, also liked Ragazzi and I can't remember the rest, but food was good at all our meals.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Have a great time! I first met my husband in GC and I was 50 then!