Search

Cayman Islands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cayman Islands

Will be in Cayman first week of Dec. for the third time.

Can someone tell me the 2 best fine dining spots (quality of food and atmosphere) and the two best local dining spots?

Also, who has the best snorkel trips? Have done Red Sail and the one across from Westin. Who takes you to the most fish?

Thanks.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Reef Grill and Mezza for fine dining. Champion House for local food. The snorkel trips all pretty much stop at the same places.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Two best fine dining....always a matter of personal preference, but for me :
- Calypso Grill
- Ristorante Papagallo
..both in deepest West Bay

Local food ?
- Singhs Roti Shop (in downtown GT)...actually Trini food, but "local"
- Lorna's Jerk Stand in Pease Bay

Re Snorkel trip, make sure you book a day with fewest cruise ships in port....for smaller groups, suggest Red Baron charters

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I'll have to agree with the recomendation of the Reef Grill as one of the best, we usually eat there twice when we visit GC. You must try their signature Chilean Sea Bass, it is amazing.

Our 2nd choice for the best, and also very Romantic, is Smuggler's Cove. A small intimate place right on the water in Georgetown. The service is impeccable, food even better. Two suggestions here are the jerk duck appetizer, and for an entree, their lobster stuffed filet mignon is incredible.

I'll also agree with Tom's choices as being excellent restaurants. Calypso Grill has a fishcake appetizer that is beyond words. Papagallo was also very good, with a very cool atmosphere. Good luck finding it on your first try....everyone we know has to stop for directions, but it's worth a try.

As far as snorkel trips go, just pick someone that keeps a light load of passengers. They all go to the same reefs for the most part. If you want to see a lot of fish, it's tough to beat Eden Rock from shore.

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Dee2, Tom and Scott----I like Papagallo and Ristorante Cassonova. I have heard the Reef Grill is good and look forward to Tom's local spots adn maybe Mezza. Tom, I recall you operate the Reef?--------we may come check it out for a family trip.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I do run The Reef...do catch the dinner show with our island legend Calypsonian, Barefoot Man...every Tuesday and Thursday...but book early, he is always sold out
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:12 AM

Just to clarify. TomCayman Runs the Reef Resort in East end. The Reef Grill restaurant is located on 7 mile beach.
Donald Loyd GM/Owner
The Royal Palms/Reef Grill
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM

Oops, sorry Donald