COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cayman dive spots for beginners

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 10:01 AM
Janet

Cayman dive spots for beginners

Considering a trip to the Caymans but have never dove before. I'm taking a class in Chicago but hope to finish "open water" certification in the Cayman's next Spring.
I hear the diving off Little Cayman is excellent but there is not much else to do on the island. Is Grand Cayman a better choice? Ideally, I'd like to go to both islands in 7 days. What would be the best itinerary for a beginner?

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Bart

Janet, you will be hooking up with a dive operator to do your 4 OW certification dives which will take up the 1st two days of diving. Since you must fly to LC, your diving will be severly curtailed due to no fly restrictions.
I would suggest staying on GC and get your cert dives over and gain confidence under water. The west wall has enough to see that you can easily spend a week there. If you feel comfortable, you can do a north wall dive but let the DMs observe you and advise on their view of your skill and whether you are ready.
The cert dives are primarily skill practice and you won't get a lot of reef touring.
I did my class and confined water in NJ and my cert dives in Hawaii and did not really begin to enjoy the underwater life until skills became refined.
There are lots of good operators. You might want to check out Ocean Frontiers on teh east end if you want less crowds. Treasure Island get sgood reviews, OF, Red Sails, there are lots to choose from. Your instructor or dive shop can give you some guidance.
The nicest hotel on GC is the Westin. Beautiful beach.
Any other questions? Email me
Bart

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 07:24 AM
stephanie

Just thought I would add that my checkout dives (done in St. Thomas) were immensely enjoyable contrary to what above post's experience. I nearly forgot that I was getting checked out because it was my first time under the water (besides a pool during classes) and it was so beautiful. My checkout dives were very exciting and enjoyable - being well prepared helps! Enjoy your diving - it's like nothing else you can do. I believe there are abundant dive sites in Grand Cayman that you will feel comfortable doing for the first time. Don't know Little Cayman.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 07:14 PM
John

I would agree with Bart's Assessment of your situation. If you want to have any kind of night life, you need to stay on Grand Cayman, and if you stay there for your check dives, you might as well stay there for the week. Little Cayman (and Cayman Brac) both have great diving, but there is not much else to do there. You have to bring your own intertainment. By the way, the Caymans can be quite expensive, especially meals and drinks. Many people I know who have recently gone there were a little bit surprised about prices.

Old Dec 30th, 1998, 07:37 AM
David

Try Red Sail Sports, as beginners we used them at the Westin and they were very helpful. On our dive they were also doing check dives (open water)with
new divers. On your own for some decent shore dives, after you're certified of course, try Paradise Reef/Devils Grotto.