Casual Restaurants at the Hyatt Dorado?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if there are casual restaurants that serve dinner at the Hyatt Dorado in Puerto Rico (or the neighboring Cerromar)?

My husband and I are staying there for five nights in May and don't want to have a dressed-up, pricey dinner every night.

Thank you!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM

The Japanese/Asian restaurant at the Cerromar is casual and, we thought, very good. My husband wore shorts. There is also a Johnny Rockets if you want to be very casual! We went to the golf course restaurant for lunch, not dinner, but it is kind of semi-casual - I would not wear shorts but no need for women to wear a dress or men a tie. If you have a car, there are a number of casual restaurants in the Dorado area - we went to La Terraza and Mangere, both casual and good. Honestly, the worst meal we had was at Su Casa which is one of the Dorado's "fancy" restaurants. My duck was cold and overcooked. My dessert was very good though.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! Must men wear jackets and ties to most of the other restaurants at the Hyatt Dorado for dinner?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM

At Su Casa, "dressy" attire is requested. Men do not have to wear a jacket. My husband wore a short sleeved linen shirt (Tommy Bahama shirt) and linen pants and was fine. I wore a dress but it was not super dressy (a wrap dress in a tropical print). Everyone else was about the same, maybe even a little less dressed up. There is one other dressy restaurant at the Dorado called, I think, the Ocean Terrace. We did not eat there but a jacket is requested (not required) for men. I do not know how many men actually wear jackets there. My husband did not even bring a jacket or tie. The resort itself is pretty casual and other than the Ocean Terrace restaurant, I would think "resort wear" is pretty much appropriate everywhere else. At the Asian restaurant, I wore capris and a halter top. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

It's VERY helpful. Thank you! Did you enjoy the Hyatt Dorado?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM

We really did enjoy it. I thought the setting was gorgeous. We had a ground level Su Casa room and we could walk right out of our room to the water (it isn't really a beach there but very pretty). I loved listening to the sound of the waves crashing. The beaches are at the main resort (the Su Casa rooms kind of hug the coastline down from the resort - it was a 5 minute walk from the room to the main resort building) and are beautiful - the service was good. My only complaint (and with it comes a caveat) was that I was there partly for a conference and it did not seem like the resort was really set up for business travelers - business center was very small, internet access was bad. On the other hand, we paid a greatly reduced rate (I think $285 in high season when the going rate was about $600). I loved it for vacation - it was very relaxing and laid back. Other than those very minor complaints, we were very satisfied. Really a very pretty place. We have stayed at lot of nice resorts and this ranks right up there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Good restaurants outside the hotel (short ride by taxi or rental car) include La Terraza (good seafood), El Ladrillo (best in town, varied menu), Mangere (Italian), and Trattoria Gargani (Italian). The resort's golf clubhouse also has a good restaurant, although it may only be open inhigh season.