Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cash, Credit Card or Travellers Checks in Anguilla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:22 AM
djd

We are going to Anguilla for our honeymoon and want to know if we can get by with a credit card and an ATM card. From what I've read the US$ is the accepted currency and I was hoping to use my credit card and cash for all purchases (including meals). Are cash machines (ATM's) readily available or do you suggest travellers checks?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Shari

Depends on where you spend in Anguilla.<BR>All the upscale restaurants will gladly accept your plastic. There are only a handful of ATM's on the island, but Anguilla isn't big, so you are never more than 45 minutes away from ANYTHING! <BR><BR>If you plan on dining at smaller local restaurants, many do not take credit cards, but travellers checks are widely accepted nearly everywhere on the island.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
gab

No need for travelers' checks. We were just there and took too much cash with us because I had read that ATM machines were finicky there. We left with almost all the cash we came with, as we were able to charge everything except our cab rides. Depending on how long you're going for and how many cabs you're planning to take, you probably don't need more than $200 cash. I think we spent about $50 on cabs (two roundtrip dinner fares). And the cab from the airport cost $20 each way, but our hotel reimbursed us for that.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
anon

Well, I'm not sure I agree with Gab about relying solely on credit cards. The rental car company I used did not take credit cards at all. So there's $300 right at the start of the week that either had to be cash or traveler's checks.<BR>I think it really depends on what your plans are once you reach Anguilla. It sounds like Gab's trip didn't require anything but credit cards, but mine did, and it sounds like the other person who posted found a need for cash/traveler's checks as well.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:17 PM
anonymous

Gab, the hotel reimbursed you in US$ or Caribbean?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:00 AM
fyi

I would guess US-it is used all over the island and all prices at CJ are US.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:54 AM
gab

US dollars. I never even came across any Anguillan currency.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:59 AM
curious

So what currency is Anguillan currency?