Search

Aruba: rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 10:23 AM
D

Aruba: rental car?

We will be staying at the Marriott Ocean club for a week. Any opinion on having a rental car for the whole time versus a day or two? What will it cost us just to get there from the airport if we don't?

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:27 AM
chazz

We were in Aruba for a week but rented a car for just 3 days. This was perfect, as there is a limited amount to see in the central and eastern portions of the island; also, it's easy to get around the airport/town/hotel area by bus or taxi. Many of the rental firms have 3-day pricing.<BR><BR>If you have a kitchen, rent a car early in your trip so you can take it to the grocery store. I also recommend Baby Beach and maybe DePalm Island for the period you have a car. Four-wheel-drive is necessary for the "Natural Pool" and preferable for the "Natural Bridge" - or go there on 4WD tours.<BR><BR>Taxi from airport to Marriott was $18 in early 2000 - may have gone up since then.<BR><BR>It's a great island with terrific people - enjoy!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Paula

We stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club for 8 days and rented a car for 3. I agree with the other writer...you only need about 3days because the island is small. We went on a time-share presentation at the Ocean Club and they offered this "super deal" if you rent the car with them. Well, I had already reserved a car through Hertz and it was a full-size auto with air (it was 4 adults) average age 50 and the price was about $150.00 I think we would have been saving around $50.00 if we rented thru the tour desk at the Ocean Club. The person promised me that it was a full-size auto with air and that it could easily carry 4 people. Well....the car was about the size of an old Ford Pinto, dirty, and I still don't believe that it had air. We refused the car, and was given the owner's car which was a dirty, run-down Volvo???. After 1 day, we returned it because we put the window down and couldn't get it back up!!!! They gave us our money back and we rented the car from Hertz. It was a full size, clean, air condition, cd player....just what I wanted. The name of the other car company was Amigo???? The Hertz Co was right on property where the other companies have to pick you up and you return the car to them.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Randy

D-<BR><BR>We've been to Aruba 4 times and have rented a car for the full week. There are many ways to get around, cab, bus, etc. but we still like being able to jump in the car and go.<BR><BR>We rented via the National outlet at the airport. The first year we took one of the older model vehicles. It came with ac but was adequate. The following years we rented newer vehicles. Paid about $200 the first year and something closer to $300 the following years.<BR><BR>There are many wonderful restaurants on the island and they are easier to access in my opinion with a car. That's particularly true given that the Marriott is far out of downtown.<BR><BR>You can do just fine without the car, really depends on your personal preference. Have fun--the Marriott property is beautiful!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:23 AM
NANCY

JUST RETURNED FROM ONE WEEK, 1ST TIME. IF YOU LIKE JUST SITTING AROUND, CAN GET BUS FOR 2.00 DOWN TOWN ETC. WE RENTED A CAR FOR ONE WEEK (200) AND WHAT A CONVENIENCE. WE EXPLORED THE ENTIRE ISLAND, DROVE TO THE REST. RECOMMENDED TO US, GOLF ETC.,GROCERIES,ETC.