carry on liquor

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carry on liquor

am I correct in assuming that any carry on liquor is not allowed from st. thomas any more? looking at the way baggage is loaded on the planes, is there any heavy duty containers that the liquor stores are now providing?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM

No carry on is allowed from St. Thomas. We bought twelve bottles, let the liquor store pack it up, and we checked it as checked luggage. It made it home fine. We connected in Charlotte, NC and not Philly. I've heard that Philly can be a problem.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I'm not familiar with their airport, but if they have a duty free shop inside security, you can purchase there and carry it on- I think everyone leaving Puerto Rico had at least 2 bottles on them!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM

You can carry it on from the duty free shop if you have a direct flight home. If you have to connect, you cannot carry on your next flight. You must check it.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM

however, if you do connect you can transfer the liqour you have carried on from the duty free shop into your checked luggage for your next flight.
if you purchase at duty free they will give you a slip and they take your bottles to your gate where you must remember to get them as you are boarding.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I will be flying down to San Juan PR later this month, and usually buy a bottle or 2 of rum in their Duty Free. My return to EWR this time is via STT (where I will just be in transit). A couple of questions: Will I be able to bring the rum into STT while in transit? Or should I just wait until I'm in STT's DF to make the purchase? Also will I have to clear customs in STT (I am a US citizen)?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM

mauld, you have to buy the liquor in St. Thomas. You won't be allowed to carry it on from your San Juan flight.

murphjam2001, you may indeed bring liquor onto your flight if you purchase it after security in St. Thomas, but if you have to transfer to another US domestic flight, you then have to put it in your checked bags upon arrival on the US. A lot of people do this without incident.

A lot of liquor stores also now will pack up your bottles with bubble wrap in a fairly decent cardboard container, and that's a viable option as well. Some people just get bubble wrap and wrap bottles and pack them in their checked luggage.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM

That is assuming that you can get to your checked bags as the connection airport right?