karen rayl

carnival cruise-mexico/first timer

advice about cruises
where to snorkel in cozumel
what to do in key-west
any other tips

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 05:42 AM
S.A.

Since this will be your first cruise, you probably won't have anything to compare it to. I just hope that you have chosen one of Carnival's newer ships and that you are not going for the great service and food.(Because they don't exist on any of Carnival's ships)
Also I hope that you are young and I mean very young-like early 20's because if your not, you might just have the dissappointment of a lifetime going with Carnival. BEST OF LUCK!

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 05:53 AM
Nancy Austin

Key West is quite interesting. Hemingway's house is a must. All of his cats are facinating, his writing loft a piece of history. Sunset in Mallory Square is supposed to be great. It was pretty, but the real attraction is the entertainment at that time. Personally, it's not my favorite place, because I found it hot and crowded. The streets, while quaint, are narrow. It's sometimes tough to catch a breeze. Architecture is facinating. Go to the Aquarium also at feeding time. A great experience for adults as well as children.

Just came back from a cruise on Carnival's Destiny. Spring break is NOT the time to go. It was my first cruise. I was amazed at all the college people and their beer bongs all day long. The deck was packed with wall-to-wall people. Not even enough room to put your foot between two deck chairs (if you could find one.) There was never a lack of things to do. You almost had to "make time" to sit in the sun because of all the activities. When Carnival advertises to attract a party crowd, they aren't kidding. I would cruise again, but definitely on a different line.

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 05:54 AM
Nancy Austin

Key West is quite interesting. Hemingway's house is a must. All of his cats are facinating, his writing loft a piece of history. Sunset in Mallory Square is supposed to be great. It was pretty, but the real attraction is the entertainment at that time. Personally, it's not my favorite place, because I found it hot and crowded. The streets, while quaint, are narrow. It's sometimes tough to catch a breeze. Architecture is facinating. Go to the Aquarium also at feeding time. A great experience for adults as well as children.

Just came back from a cruise on Carnival's Destiny. Spring break is NOT the time to go. It was my first cruise. I was amazed at all the college people and their beer bongs all day long. The deck was packed with wall-to-wall people. Not even enough room to put your foot between two deck chairs (if you could find one.) There was never a lack of things to do. You almost had to "make time" to sit in the sun because of all the activities. When Carnival advertises to attract a party crowd, they aren't kidding. I would cruise again, but definitely on a different line.

Old May 9th, 1998, 08:30 AM
Rachel

We love Carnival, my husband and I are 35 and 45 years, and we love Carnival cruises. We went to Cozumel on the Imagination. Great ship, beautiful port. Take the shore excursion on a catamaran for snorkeling. Tell Captain Mike hello.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Christina Ramsey

S.A.: Why do you insist on trashing carnival it is the fun ship not the stuffed shirt ship chill. You did not even anwser Karens question. Do everyone a favor and get a life. By the way most people only write aboult the bad stuff. <BR> <BR>Karen: i am going on the sensation july forth 1999 it stops in Cozumel mexico tell me what you thought.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 09:24 AM
Carl

In Cozumel snorkeling at one of the reefs or at the Chankanaab Nature Park will be a Highlight of your trip. The Catamaran was a Hoot!! <BR>In Key West all I would do is head out to either the Boar's Head Bar or Sloppy Joe's, Order some Beer and Conch Fritters, Chill out and just people watch. It's Facinating!!!

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 12:10 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Karen, <BR>I am a travel agent and I sell mostly seniors. I have very few complaints from customers who have sailed Carnival. If you do not like partying, find the quiet pools, not the main pool area. Also plenty of deck chairs. Any Carnival ship, not only the Destiny has plenty of quiet areas. Sides of the ship, library, etc. Also, there are noisy lounges and quiet lounges. All kinds of entertainment, the best at sea. Big band oldies, ballroom, disco, jazz, combos, country, etc. <BR> <BR>The food is very good, but do not expect gourmet. I receive complaints about food no matter what ship I sell. Everyone has different tastes. If you do not like your selection, ask for another - don't be shy. <BR> <BR>Carnival is a fun cruise line. Isn't that what a vacation is all about. I sailed on 3 Carnival ships last year and I am 62 years old. If I want a docile time, I cruise Crystal, Seaborne, Radisson or Crystal, but, I do find the cruisers a bit stuffy and "old" on these lines. <BR> <BR>Paul Therault <BR>Affordable Cruises and Travel

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 09:04 AM
Barb

Don't let SA's message burst your bubble. We first-timed on the Imagination last November (not the best time, during Thanksgiving week, with alot of younger kids)...but it was an experience we won't forget. The food was good some days and bad others, nothing very special, just OK. Our waiter and busboy and maitre d' were excellent. We had a table for 6, and we needed to change it from the booth situation to a real table. They took care of us pronto. EVERYONE on this ship is dedicated to making you happy, from the busboys to the bartenders to the cruise director to the Capitan. These people want you to have a good time and like them. That is how they earn their living (just like anywhere else in the world when you travel, or at home when you go out). Our cabin steward was quiet, yet on the job, and we never had a problem. NOTE: You are going to meet all kinds of people from all over, who are looking for the same expectations you are, and sometimes you have to go along to get along, especially with 2,000 others on board. Look at Paul's message for the rationale approach to going on Carnival. <BR>Snorkling in Coz-Cabs are plentiful and cheap. You can rent equipment on the ship, or bring your own (we bring own). The national park there is sometimes crowded. We took a catamaran cruse to Planacar reef, and had about 3 or 4 hours of snorkling the 3 largest reefs (I think Planacar, Columbia and one other...)...beautiful and different coral formations, fish, etc. There is a dive shop at Diamond Resort where you can just swim out from the beach and see barracuda, reef formations, etc. You can go to San Francisco beach, where you can also swim out. We also had 12 hours in port, so we were able to do the excursion, come back and lunch, nap and go into San Miguel for Carlos n' Charlie's and Hard rock cafe, as well as shop for gold jewelry (which is reasonably priced). We've been twice, and the snorkling is very good. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, and be sure to wear lots of sun block, so you don't burn and ruin your trip!!!! Also, if you are a pool lounge person, get out early for best seat at 2nd pool where more adults congregate than kids.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 12:22 PM
Hilary

Carnival is not my favorite line, but there are MANY people who love it. I think it comes down to finding a line (or two) that satisfies your needs and sticking with it. I prefer a quieter ship with great serivce, great food, and a variety of things to do all the time. That's why I choose to sail Celebrity or RCCL, and BTW I'm only 35. <BR> <BR>In regards to Key West, I happen to adore Key West. As long as you realize it is a tourist trap and be a tourist, you'll have a great time. The Hemingway House is a MUST, I do concur. The other "must" is to have a piece of Key Lime Pie, it is simply the BEST in Key West. The Fury snorkeling trip is also very good, and it still gives you some time to walk around Duvall Street and have a piece of pie. <BR> <BR>Just remember, the only bad cruise is no cruise!!