Caribbean vs. West Virginia

May 22nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
jude

Caribbean vs. West Virginia

I will be travelling soon somewhere toward the U.S. in the summer. I'm trying to decide between West Virginia and the Caribbean. Any suggestions?

May 22nd, 2002, 06:19 PM
youare

A joke, right? Please tell me you're kidding. What idiot told you that these places were similar?

May 22nd, 2002, 06:43 PM
jude

Is there really that big of a difference in the two?

May 22nd, 2002, 06:45 PM
ss

No big difference. The beaches and ocean are just as good in West Virginia as they are in the Caribbean.

May 22nd, 2002, 06:57 PM
tina

Jude, I saw in the other message that you posted that you're from UK which would explain you're confusion. Caribbean wins hands down. So why don't you give us more details on what you are looking for in an island and we'll try to help you.

May 22nd, 2002, 07:26 PM
jude

Boy! Am I starting to feel like a real doofus. I guess I must have been confused on something I heard. Where in the world is West Virginia? Is it really that bad?

May 22nd, 2002, 11:15 PM
Tom

Yes, Jude, West Virginia is bad! It would be similar to me wanting to vacation in Liverpool, for God's sake!!

May 23rd, 2002, 03:15 AM
no name

Jude,
Ignore Tom's sarcasm. West Virginia and the Caribbean are as different as night and day. No resemblance to Liverpool however. West Virginia is a very rural and landlocked state. There is no ocean and there are no beaches. There are mountains, rivers and much natural beauty but it's not the Caribbean.
Since you are probably looking for a tropical beach vacation why don't you give us some specifics of what you're looking for and we can all make some suggestions.
In the meantime I'd also try to think of a practical joke you can play on the person who told you West Virginia is the same as the Caribbean. Revenge is sweet!!!

May 23rd, 2002, 04:01 AM
Lv2Trvl

one word = Greeenbriar. Depends if one wants a beach vacation or a wonderful resort experience.

May 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Nancy

Jude,
Yes, please do ignore Tom's sarcasm - and ignorance.
no name gave you very good information, as did Lv2Trvl who mentioned The Greenbriar - which is an absolutely gorgeous luxury resort that rivals any anywhere (just no beaches
That may be where your friend who suggested both was thinking about.

May 23rd, 2002, 06:42 AM
topper

To the top

May 23rd, 2002, 09:53 AM
hillbilly

WV by far is the best. Who would want to go somewhere they don't even speak good American english? WV is beautiful all year round. No we may not have beaches, but we do have ski resorts. Who wants to go sweat in the sun and get all stinky when you can slide down a beautifully snow drenched mountain? Come on... there is no comparrison. Oh and by the way, we may not have an ocean, but we do have the beautiful Ohio River!!!!

May 23rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Penney

Jude,

We travel to the Caribbean twice a year and frequent South Carolina each summer as well and yes, there is a difference. Atmosphere is totally different as well as beach and water clarity, texture of the sand, climate, etc... Not tosay that there are not great places to stay on the eastern coast. If you are set on the eastern coast of the US, the look for beaches that are away from the norm - there are tons of smaller beach/resort area's were there are less people, miles of beaches and rolling dunes, peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, etc... Examples are Seabrooke and Kiawah islands, Fripp Island, and tons in North Carolina.

May 23rd, 2002, 11:36 PM
Tom

I stand by what I said! What a WASTE to even consider a vacation in a rural HICK town like West Virginia!! Granted, Liverpool is even more industrial, but both places should be OFF anyone's list of places to visit!! The Greenbriar is an "oasis" in a sea of mush!!!

May 24th, 2002, 02:01 AM
noname

Tom,
Best keep your lip zipped.... your ignorance is showing. West Virginia is a STATE genius, not a TOWN.
I've been to West Virginia for a camping and hiking vacation and it was wonderful, but not the Caribbean which is the whole point of this thread. Get it?

May 25th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Tom

Oh, another little hiker/camper type are we? Well, goody-goody gumdrops, Little Miss Lyme Disease!! As a native Washingtonian I KNOW West Virginia is a STATE and not a town, but it may as well be VIEWED as a small town/township with its uninspiring, backwater, hillbilly atmosphere!! Now do YOU get it, Genius?!?!!!

May 25th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Little Miss Lyme Disease

Tom,
Gosh you are way to clever for me. I surrender Mr. Inside the Beltway. Us New Yorkers are no match for the superior intellect of you Washingtonians.
Sincerely yours,
LMLD

May 25th, 2002, 05:37 AM
rqf

If you decide on the Caribbean and want sunlight, warmth and beaches and good value for your money check out the all-inclusives in the Dominican Republic. A good site for information is
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com. I was at a resort in Punta Cana and that area is very popular with people from the UK. Charter flights arrive most days of the week.

May 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Little Miss Tick

Silly thread...Tom, you should realize that if you're going to bash a state, you'd better be ready for irate responses and the hair to rise on the backs of any residents of that state who frequent here. Everyone loves his/her hometown/homestate for obvious reasons, MORON!!! (You're no genius in my book)

May 26th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Paul

I've always been unable to distinguish any meaningful difference between, say, Wheeling and a caribbean island. I'd save the airfare if I were you and head for WVA.