Reload this Page >

Caribbean vs. Florida beaches ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Rose

Obviously we've never been to the Caribbeans and never been to Florida (only via the internet). Since Florida is on the "other" side of the Carribeans, are the beaches and greenery similar to those in Virgin Islands, for example ? And if so, where ? Florida seems to be more affordable for us this year.<BR>We'd appreciate input from those who have seen it all. Thanks.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Kim

Im not sure if it just the beaches or the whole atmosphere in the Caribbean which makes you feel a million miles away. The beaches in the caribbean are heaven and so are the sunsets, the most romantic we have ever seen.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Lee A/T

No comparison at all. Florida's Gulf coast has many nice beaches but he Virgins are much nicer. Do some more digging in regards to budget. You will be suprised that once you get past the airfare, it is not any more expensive for food and lodging in the Virgins. You will certainly have a nice trip with either choice. Lee in Austin,Tejas

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Penney

There is just something about the Caribbean that is soooooooo very different in atmsophere besides just he beaches. <BR><BR>There are however, beautiful beaches in Florida as well that can be very affordable. Have you looked at some of the smaller Keys in Florida? Not Key WEst, as it is a rocky man made beach but some of the other keys are truely beautiful.<BR><BR>We also spend time in the summer months on an island in South CArolina and while it is not the Caribbean, there are miles upon miles of empty, huge and prestine beaches that are very affordable as compared to the islands.<BR>Alot of these islands are private and come with golf courses, club houses and pools without all the people - really beuaitful. I have alot of info on these islands if you are interested.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Rose

Thank you everyone for your inputs and ideas !<BR><BR>Penney: Yes, please. I'd appreciate more info you on the South Carolina islands. Thanks !

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Les

Have you looked into the Lee Island coast of Florida? Lodging in the Ft. Myers Beach area can be very affordable, and if you drive out to the islands of Sanibel and Captiva(about 30 min. drive), you will get that feel of being in the Caribbean. Beautiful beaches all around and very tropical. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Penney

Ross,<BR><BR>I emailed you some info on the island in SC. Let me know if it gets to you!<BR><BR>Penney

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:08 AM
N

No one has mentioned the water of the Caribbean compared to Florida. The water has the most fabulous shades of turquoise - you could sit and watch it change color during the day (and I have). I'd vote for the Caribbean if you are a water baby.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Nicole

Not sure of you are considering this, but the Bahamas are also a good choice as far as budget and beauty are concerned. The water has some tremendous variation in aqua and is lovely. Also some packages to the Bahamas are cheap. Just look into the hotel before you book if you go the package route to make sure you're getting the experience you want. And last but certainly not least, a trip to the Out Islands can be inexpensive and romantic as well. You can catch a ferry or small plane to some of the outer islands from Nassau. Good luck!