Search

Caribbean Villas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean Villas

We are planning a 2006 vacation trip for 8 adults (4 bdr.) in a villa situated within walking distance to an ocean beach.
Most of our inquiries have produced villas situated on mountain sites.
Can anyone suggest some close to a great beach.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:19 AM

Blue Marlin/Coquina front a broad calm-water beach in Great Bay; The Buccaneer a 3/4 mile beach in Billy's Bay;Unforgettable 2 private beachlettes in Fort Charles. All are in Jamaica in remote Treasure Beach on www.jamaicaescapes.com with no hotels, resorts in area.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:35 AM

RickysRed,

Check Tryall Club (www.tryallclub.com), they have at least a half dozen 4 bedroom villas right at the ocean's edge, some with their own beach, but all within 2 minutes of the Tryall Beach. The other 20 or so 4 bedroom villas do sit up on the hill overlooking the ocean, but all are within 2 minutes of the beach by golf cart (each villa has at least 1 golf cart). Plus each and every one has their own private pool.
Check also www.jamaicavillas.com and see the villas that Linda Smith reps on Jamaica. She's got several that would meet your requirements.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:38 AM

You might check out www.vrbo.com
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:26 PM

If you are interested in Jamaica then I suggest Moon Dance Villas in Negril. It has a wonderful beach & the place is great. My sis-in-law stayed there & raved about it. You get a villa with your own cook & bartender. All meals are decided by you & cooked to order. If all of you want something different then you get it. You can get AI or not. It is about the same price as an AI resort but you feel pampered because the villa is all for you. Worth checking out.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Hello RickysRed,
For caribbean villas there's two types of location, well actually 3 but generally they are either beachfront or hillside. The 3rd would be oceanfront, this is not on a beach but on the water generally with water access, e.g., via a ladder or step perhaps and possibly no access, do check. Your description of a villa situated within walking distance reminds me of something like a US beach resort where you have blocks of houses. The Caribbean is not that way. Other than the obvious difference between beach/oceanfront and hillside there are some advantages to hillside location, most important is they are generally cheaper and also you will have a better view and usually less bugs at higher elevations that will have more of a breeze. If you plan to rent a car getting to nearby beaches is quick and easy. Many of the villas have private pools and some with a staff. Generally with staff you buy the food, some are AI but very few. Here's my favorite resources for villa rental.
www.islreal.com
www.tcivillas.tc
www.caymanvillas.com
www.mclaughlinanderson.com
www.villasofgrenada.com
www.gobeach.com
www.tropcialvillas.net
www.wimco.com
P.S. Don't go to Jamaica
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Why not Jamaica? Jamaica is the quintessential Caribbean destination? I don't understand. Negril is the most laid back relaxed place on earth....and 7 miles of beautiful beach to go with it. It isn't overly developed and has a barefoot casual dress code....who wouldn't enjoy that?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:11 AM

You're kidding right? Negril not overly developed? Negril and Jamaica as a whole is the epitome of mass tourism. There's a reason 90% of Negril's reef is dead. Crime is a huge problem and not just petty theft, there's violent crime there...Jamaica has the 3rd highest murder rate in the world per capita. While granted most occurs in Kingston, but Negril and other main tourist centers are not immune to it. How can a place feel relaxed when all the hotels are heavily guarded like Fort Knox? There's a reason for that too. When I think of barefoot casual Caribbean destinations I think of Tobago, the Grenadines (Bequia, Union Island, Carriacao, etc.), Nevis, BVI, St. John, Bonaire and many more....with little to no crime. With these available why would anyone go to Jamaica?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Have you been to Negril? Not one building taller than the tallest palm tree. Crime? Been going to Negril for 20 years and haven't seen anything that would qualify as a crime. Haven't heard of anyone else being a victim, either. We lost an item on the beach on our way back to our resort one night....woke up in the morning and someone had returned it to our resort as they knew it had belonged to us and they knew where were staying. The people of Jamaica are truly some of the finest in the world. We could all learn something from them....sounds like you could more than most.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:29 PM

There is no need to get nasty simply because you disagree with my opinions, much of which is based on fact. Have I been to Negril? A better question would be where haven't I been, and yes that includes Negril. As for crime, I guess you don't follow the news. There's been two incidences involving violent crime in Negril in the past year. Early this year a tourist was attacked with a machete and robbed along with 15 other tourists. A few months prior to that a gardener was murdered and 7 tourists robbed. These are just a few that made the news, much doesn't and the only way to find out is from the locals and they aren't going to tell you about it, especially since most, if not all, you have contact with are in the tourim industry and it certainly wouldn't be in their best interest to scare off business. The fact remains, there are just simply better and safer places to travel to. I find it interesting the similarity of all the people who say how wonderful Jamaica is. They go there every year, year after year, rarely traveling anywhere else...and they mostly stay within the confines of their hotel the entire time.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Sorry if I came off "nasty"...not my intent. I understand that "tings" happen...as they do all over the Caribbean...if you believe Jamaica and Negril, specifically are the exceptions, you are dead wrong. I have lived on St. Croix and there is crime there as there is in St. Thomas. There is crime in St. Maarten/Martin...on and on. For you to single out Jamaica as a place NOT to travel to is obviously just your opinion and not the opinion of most as it remains the most traveled to destination in the Caribbean. As to the number of people who go there and stay in their resort....I agree with you that there are many who do. But those who know Negril, the people and the beauty of it know different. We travel to Negril once a year and to another Caribbean destination for our other trip. I have travelled the Caribbean quite extensively and your remark I find quite reckless. Just MHO.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Oh yeah....by the way....I do listen to the news there....everyday....IRIE FM on the beach. My wife laughs at me for my insistent on not missing the local news! I love it!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Of course there are other crime hot spots and you don't see me recommending them either. Unfortunately Jamaica leads the pack, particularly violent crime where over 40% of the crime is violent. You mention Jamaica as the most traveled destination in the Caribbean...and you're correct. That in itself is another reason not to go. I'm very curious and interested in learning what it is about Jamaica that is so great compared to your favorite top 10 other Caribbean destinations.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:42 AM

The people are the friendliest, the beauty of the land is up there amongst the best of any island, I love Jamaican food! Negril beach has everything we need as beachgoers...thatched hut bars, jerk stands, beautiful sand and water. 7 miles (i haven't verified that claim, btw) of sand to walk. It has a feeling that you are really "away" from it all. And finally, traveling from the Pacific NW....relatively easy for us to travel to in comparison to other destinations downisland. We are taking our first trip to the Caymans in May....don't know why we have yet to make it there....but we are looking forward to it. We decided to stay and rent a villa on the North Shore away from the congestion of 7MB and GT. Any thoughts on Grand Cayman?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Hi again CaribbeanSoul. Your descriotion of Jamaica sounds nice. I ahve never had a desire to go before but I think I may be missing somehting if I don't. Where do you stay in Negril?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:06 AM

I apologize for all my typos. My typing stinks!!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:45 AM

I don't want to perpetuate the Jamaica argument, but I surely will not take advice on any island from someone who has never been there and confuses hyperbole with fact. I have been to Anguilla, Grand Cayman, St John, St Martin, Barbados and Jamaica. I hope to add others to my list, but Jamaica is the only island so far that has commanded several returns - and I will continue to do so.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I certainly can't disagree with the natural beauty and cuisine of Jamaica. Wow Cayman will be a stark contrast, but you probably already know that. Its a good idea to stay in Cayman Kai/North Shore area. I've stayed in Cayman Kai in the past, its a little less expensive and away from the crowds. Beaches not as nice as 7M but still very nice. Cayman Kai is about a 45 minute drive from 7M beach/GT area so you'll need to rent a car, 4wd is not necessary, driving is on the left. There are some restaurants and one small grocery store as I recall. For better grocery shopping you have to do the drive to GT. Food prices are incredibly expensive as was beer, I recall paying $50+ a case. A good idea is to bring frozen meats with you. If packed frozen solid in a cooler it will make the journey just fine, avoid things that thaw quickly such as ground beef and thin cuts of meat. As you know the island is flat and dry and not much in the way of land activities or natural beauty. The attractions are the beaches and water activities, scuba & snorkeling. Try to make it out to Stringray City.
You might also want to consider Providenciales, Turks and Caicos fantastic beaches and incredible brilliant blue water. It too is very expensive like Cayman for lodging, although I think food prices were less. If you find the time further downisland if you haven't made it to these before do try Tobago, Grenada and Bequia. I think you'll find the same type of natural beauty, friendly locals and Caribbean charm you enjoy in Jamaica. Bequia in particular will wow you, here's a neat inexpensive rental you might want to bookmark for a future trip, this one is totally away from it all:
http://www.bequiavillas.net/
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Cartera,
Before you chimed in to resurrect the Jamaica debate you might have perhaps carefully read the whole thread. I have been to Jamaica, both Negril and Ocho Rios...as well as over 50 countries worldwide. I take particular interest and conduct thorough research of every destination I go.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks Traveler863! I appreciate the input! My knowledge of islands south of say, St. Martin, is limited to my CT&L & Islands magazines. We are not "cruisers" and like our stays of 10 or so days on one island! I will check out this villa....I am trying to get my wife to go other places (she is a St. John and a Negril freak!) and I definitely want to get downisland more. Logistically it is a little tough for us as we have an infant and an 8 year old and live in Seattle! But we are still in our 30's and have a lot of time to get to the places I eventually want to see. Yes...I realize Cayman will be a stark contrast...but that is what I love about the Caribbean...islands near each other but so different! We found a great oceanfront villa on the North Shore of GC and solidified arrangements yesterday. It worked well with our budget and since we are flying on FF miles....the prices won't be such an impact. I am prepared to bring frozen meats and such as we do that when renting villas on STJ as well. I used to live on STX so I am a pro at driving on the left! T&C is definitely near the top of my list as well....as Anguilla is. The beaches look fantastic and we are beach people (and beach bar people!). Thanks again for your input and I'll be checking out the Bequia villa you recommend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -