Search

Caribbean or Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Kathy Clark

Caribbean or Mexico

My husband and I (late 20s) will be taking a trip in Mid May. We really can go just about anywhere but we can't figure out where to go - Caribbean or Mexico. We are looking for relaxation - great pool, great beach, water sports, great food, some shopping and some nightlife. Any suggestions on where in Mexico or the Caribbean we should take our trip? Thanks in advance for the advice. <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Louis

Without knowing the details of your desires and budget, I think the area from Cancun to Puerto vallarta offer the best bet for you. Just run a Yahoo search on Four Seasons Cancun and you will pick up a lot of sites that can point you in a lot of directions. You have two 5 star resorts in the general area and lots of others at less prices. There is another area a little further south that was a top favorite around Akumal for us years ago. This is more pristine and would not have any real night life or shopping. The entire area offers a very large variety of activities from Mayan Ruins to all of the shopping you would like. May is a good time of the year and the prices are off season there as they are in the Caribbean.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 03:52 PM
debs

Kathy-Mexico will be cheaper than the Caribbean, and probably easier to get to than a lot of places in the Caribbean, especially as you get beyond Jamaica. Puerto Vallarta, on Mexico's pacific coast, is beautiful, and offers everything you're looking for. If you decide to go south of the border, make sure to visit the Latin American site. Have a great time wherever you wind up.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:13 PM
danny

Cozumel!Cozumel!Cozumel! It has everything- beaches, diving, snorkeling, friendly people, cheap beer and drinks, good food that's inexpensive, beautiful beaches on both sides of island, and a "great Plaza" with lots of shops ect... You can probably find a great package deal for about half the cost of most Caribbean packages. If unsure where to stay e-mail me- I've been there probably 10 times. It's my most favorite place next to Grand Cayman (Grand Cayman is about 3 times the price. I've been to most of the Caribbean islands and it's still either number 1 or 2 on my list. Go to Grand Cayman if you want to spend alot more money! It is very nice too! Have fun!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:32 PM
jay

Hi Kathy, I've been to both Countires several times. The ONLY reason I would say go to Negril Jamaica is the chance of getting stomach problems in Mexico. We have stayed in 5 Star Hotels in Mexico (the Rui chain) and still found that as a result of there drinking water not being purified, some people experience stomach problems if they eat raw fruit without peeling it or raw salad, etc. <BR> <BR>On the other hand Jamaica's five star (try Couples Negril) puts Mexico's 5 stars to shame. The service and facilities are definately more upscale and you can drink the water - no problems. <BR> <BR>Mexico (the Yucatan area) have beautiful beaches - This is why I suggested Negril in Jamaica because the beaches are comparible (have stayed in Montego Bay and Couples Ocho Rios also but the beaches don't compare. Wait a minute..... late 20's hmmmm, have you thought of the Hedonism resorts???? <BR> <BR>We are going to Sandals St. Lucia shortly (haven't been to St. Lucia before) so I'm really excited about this trip. <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR>j.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Mexican

If you go to Cozumel, you will not have the worry of "montezuma's revenge". They don't have the same water sources as mainland Mexico, so the water in Cozumel is safe to drink. I also highly recommend Cozumel, ten times over Jamaica. I have been to both several times (most recently went to Cozumel in January for my 6th visit). I never tire of the plaza to shop, Chankanaab lagoon for a great beach and wonderful snorkeling, Carlos 'n Charlies for a good time, and the beautiful views. And if all else fails, forget the water, drink beer!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Tanya

Hate to tell you but its not only the drinking water you have to watch out for in Mexico! I wound up with a nasty bug (I called him Pedro) that stayed with me for almost one year before he departed. The doctor in Mexico felt it was from feces in my food. Yes feces! Someone who didn't wash their hands properly. As he explained, it could have been at a cheap little place we ate at or the most expensive. As well, watch out for fruit that doesn't have a peel. This goes for lettuce, etc. My last week in Mexico I lived on peanut butter and bread! If you do get the "REVENGE" while there, don't stop the symptoms by taking immodium. It is best to let it take its course! As well, don't take a chance on the water - drink bottled when available (or to brush your teeth). Don't forget, ice cubes are a no no too! One last thing, careful with buffets, especially if they are outside. Flys can carry lots of bacteria and love the food as much as you do - except they aren't paying for it! <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Hanna

Tanya, what exactly was the "Pedro" bug that you caught? Was it h. pylori? I also was infected but didn't know what it was for even longer than a year when a doctor finally ran the test. I had almost constant GI problems for more than two years! I also went to Mexico (Cancun) and my doctor told me that fecal contamination is the most common way to contract the h. pylori bacteria.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Kathy Clark

Just wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to respond. I am exhausted from researching where to go -but I think we have finally decided to go to Turks & Caicos (Providenciales). <BR> <BR>Thanks again.