Car Rental Grand Cayman/Snorkeling

Aug 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental Grand Cayman/Snorkeling

After doing some research including posts here I have decided to rent a car for our one day in GC via cruise ship. I want to make the most of every minute on the island. Keeping that in mind which rental car company is very close to the dock or is there a company that will deliver a car and have it waiting for us at the dock?

We spent a week in GC pre Ivan several years ago and loved all of the shore snorkeling. One of our favorite spots was Rum Point. We remember great snorkeling all around the pier and out to the right of the pier if you are facing the water. I am wondering if things have changed ? I have read a couple of posts here where people do not seem impressed. We also have good memories of Smith's Cove. We will be very limited on time and want great snorkeling in GC! Advice on where to go first?

Thanks!!!
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM

from cruisecritic.com "By Car: Cico Avis offers one-day specials to cruise passengers and runs a courtesy shuttle between the port and the rental office (345-949-2468). Out at Seven Mile Beach, Andy's Rent A Car (345-949-8111) has good Internet discounts. Americans are required to purchase driving permits (the tourist office quotes a fee of $7.50 while some car rental agencies charge $8), but you can buy it at the rental office. Drive on the left side of the road."

my first stop would be cemetery beach (north end of seven mile) then head back down on seven mile to another spot (govenors?) where you can snorkel and find refreshments and be closer to the ship.
or lunch anywhere along the strip then afternoon at smiths. we had a super lunch (grilled mahi w/mango salsa, lobster cardinal & snapper) on their upstairs deck at guy harvey's restaurant at the south end of georgetown (they have their own small pking lot in back - use tiny road between restaurant and his shop) 55 south church st.
http://www.harveysgrill.com/directions.htm
Aug 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Rum Point is still just as beautiful and fun as pre-Ivan when you were there, but I agree that the snorkeling is better at Cemetary Reef.
Aug 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Good snorkeling at Sunset house, lots of fish and easy entry used by divers....great rum punch and grilled dolphin sandwiches too!
Cemetary reef pretty good but over the years it's really starting to die.
Smiths cove just down from Sunset house.
Aug 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Cayman420, Is there public parking and access at Sunset House?