Car Ferry to St. John

Feb 26th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Ed

Car Ferry to St. John

Thanks to all for the info on jeep rentals. One other thought I had was to look into renting a car/jeep at St. Thomas airport and taking the car ferry/barge to St. John. Has anyone done that? I can't find any info on that ferry so any information would help. Thanks again.

Feb 26th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Joyce

Nancy very kindly sent me this ur which is great. We just went through the same process.

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.htm

Feb 27th, 2000, 03:11 AM
Karen

If you rent on STT and plan to take the car to STJ, make sure that you check with the rental company that you can! Some rentals are not allowed to be taken off island. http://discountcar.vi (Discount Car Rental) by the airport is one that does.

Feb 27th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Nancy

One of the things that you should consider before deciding to rent your car in St. Thomas is what would happen in the event that you had car troubles on St. John.

The roads on St. Thomas and St. John are very hilly and hard on cars. One time our safari truck's brakes failed and another time we had a flat (we had new manicures). Each time we called the St. John rental agencies and within 15-30 minutes we had someone on the spot to exchange our car or repair the flat.

I try to be cost conscious but if a car problem cost me a part of my vacation, I think it would be better to rent on St. John.

Other considerations are that the car ferry schedule is less frequent than the passenger ferry and the drive from the airport to Red Hook ferry can be stressful if you have never been to St. Thomas before.

We have been to both St. Thomas and St. John several times and we still opt to rent our car on St. John becasue we have had car troubles in the past and even though the problems weren't big, I shutter to think how much time they would have cost us if the car rental agency had been on St. Thomas.

Our vacation time is very valuable.

You could discuss these issues with the St. Thomas agency and perhaps they could reassure you as to how problems would be handled.

Feb 27th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Larry

I know there is a car ferry b/c we saw it, but I don't know how much it costs and how often in runs. It is so easy to get to the ferry (either C.A. or RedHook) from the airport and all the Car rental places are very close to the cruz bay doc. By renting at St John, you can get the regular ferry that runs all day long. I bet you really limit your options with the car ferry.
Also, to follow up on the above post re car troubles, we indeed did switch jeeps after 1 day to get a covered jeep.