Reload this Page >

Cap Jaluca or Malliouhana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Andrew

Which resort on Anguilla is better: Cap Jaluca or Malliouhana?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:17 AM
minette

I haven't been to anguilla in almost 10 years, but i always stayed in malliouhana. It was classy in an understated way--like being a guest in the home of someone with great taste. (The owner or his son would meet guests upon arrival.) The restaurant was topnotch. And the beach quiet and private. The staff very pleasant and accommodating. One visit i brought a stash of bagels with me, which they obligingly kept in kitchen. <BR>we visited capjaluca and it felt like a parvenue compared with malliouhana. it was louder and brassy. at malliouhana we dined with christofle silverware. at capjaluca, the flatware had plastic handles. i also remember being disappointed at there being almost no beach, since the cottages were built so close to the water. <BR>i guess malliouhana feels like a retreat, and capjaluca a resort. <BR>But that was 10 years ago. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:25 PM
penny

Cap Juluca has a huge mile long beach. 18 villas spaced apart, very nice. Malliohana is perched on a hill, below is Meads Bay. As I have only stayed at CJ, I prefer the beach at my doorstep. Both hotels have very loyal clintel. I do enjoy dining at Malliouhana, the island has so many top restaurants , do not lock yourself into a meal plan. They are both outstanding.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Christie

Penny, since you often stay at CJ, could you tell me if you can reserve and confirm a certain suite at CJ? My travel agent said they can put the request down but not confirm anything. Has this been your experience at CJ?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:22 PM
penny

Yes, that has been my experience. I never get a specific room or the same room each time, just lower jr. suite, sometimes I ask for the east end, sometimes the west end. The only rooms I would not want are next to Georges I think villa 6 and 7. I know Jr. suite #5 in most of the villas is an upstairs room, with stairway to a rooftop sunning area. It is the same price as the other junior suites, but not as many. So you can request, and see what happens.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Karen

"Better" is in the eyes of the beholder. I know I would prefer Cap due to the proximity of the units to that glorious beach! Malli was wonderful and the jr suites there were lush but it is on a bluff with incredible views. I prefer beachfront to a view any day! I was also surprised to see several of Malli's units even up behind the the lobby/restaurant and I think that they have some rooms in the main buiding right off the lobby! That certainly would not be my cup of tea! So, location, location, location might be the key there! And I do think that Cap has "arrived" and can challenge any of the renowned resorts in the world. Even ten years ago, it was long past parvenu status!!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
mcgillicuddy

agree with most of the above comments, but after staying at cj,and visiting malli for dinner and again during the day during a january stay, I would say that the west side location for less wind on the beach would cause me to lean to malli in the future. there are apparently rooms down on the beach to the left side of the restaurant which are much closer to the beach than those mentioned by above writers. cj seemed much less mature, possibly due to extreme damage suffered during the hurricanes of the past few years. malli's restaurant is definitely the draw there, as they will cheerfully admit, but the beach is probably the choice one on the island. the people on anguilla were wonderfully friendly and will respond readily to american smiles and friendly greetings. have a great trip.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:21 PM
mel

Andrew: <BR>I can't speak to your overall resort question because my taste runs, for lots of reasons, to the West Indian-run accomodations, but I do have a dining and bar experience to share with you. When I travel in the islands, I go to a different place every day for almost every meal. Last month on Anguilla, I selected Malli for the '4-star' evening. I could not eat the main course, the meal took 2 1/2 hours and I was dining alone, and of course the check was ridiculous. Yet, it is indeed possible to spend even greater amounts of money to eat, like the $25 green salad at the Cuisinart. The roti hut near the airport was a far greater food value, with great food. Also, the bar at Malli seemed more festive that the one at Cap the nights I visited perhaps due to all the visitors from New Jersey. Anguilla is all right, and you probably can't make a mistake with either resort.