Can't decide where to go-help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to take a trip to somewhere warm and romantic for our 25th anniversary (travelling from MN) in mid-April. There are so many choices and I know nothing about traveling in the Caribbean. We want somewhere we can relax, enjoy the beach, have a few drinks, good food...something with ambience and preferably 1st class but not a young partying crowd. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Anguilla comes to mind from your description. Caneel Bay on St John might also fit the bill. I've never been myself, but Turks & Caicos also sounds like a good option for you.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM

What a nice idea! In order to give you helpful suggestions, you should let us know what your price range is (including airfare) and whether you are interested in exploring beyond the confines of your hotel (whether for dining, hiking, exploring, or shopping). One suggestion I would have is to schedule your vacation for the second half of April so that you can take advantage of lower season rates.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tpatricco, I will look into those.

Laby, to answer your questions: budget $5-7000, and yes we would be interested in exploring the area a little if it's easy to do. It is possible for us to go the second half of April (anniversary is the 24th). One thing I forgot to mention was we are interested in an all-inclusive. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I'd second tpatricco's suggestion of the Turks and Caicos. Providenciales where most of the T&I's resorts are located isn't the prettiest or lushest island by any means but its beaches, particularly Grace Bay Beach, are some of the best in the Caribbean.

Here are two first class resorts to consider on Provo - the Grace Bay Club (http://www.gracebayclub.com/gracebay.html) and Parrot Cay Resort (http://parrotcay.como.bz/default.asp) are two of the finest beachside resorts you'll find anywhere in Caribbean. They both offer packages that include breakfast and dinner and should fall within your budget.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM

You may be interested in the Westin Resort on St. John. You can fly into St. Thomas and take a 3 minute taxi ride from the airport to the Crown Bay Marina where you pick up a ferry directly to the Westin. If you have to wait for the ferry, stop in Tickles restaurant/bar right there for food/drink on the water.

The Westin is absolutely beautiful. They have incredible food, beautiful grounds, onsite Spa, an incredible pool with a bar, hottubs, and water activities. We went snorkeling, parasailing and took a hobie cat out on the water.

<<http://www.westinresortstjohn.com/welcome.htm>>

You can take a taxi to Cruz Bay, St. John for shopping. In particular, my favorite spot is Mongoose Junction at Cruz Bay. It's a beautiful cobblestone area that makes it easy to pass an afternoon wandering from shop to shop.

If you go to Cruz Bay in St. John, be sure to take a 5-10 minute taxi ride up the hill to Trunk Bay Beach. It was rated the second best beach in the world. The sand feels like silk under your feet and it has an underwater snorkeling path you can follow. There grounds are nicely equipped with showers, bathrooms, a bar and of course! a souvenier shop.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Check out Curtain Bluff in Antigua. Definitely an upscale all-inclusive with 2 lovely beaches, very good food, great service, and probably the best wine list in the Caribbean. A plus is that they have good live music just about every evening. Clientele is mostly 40's - 60's, so no need to worry about a young partying crowd. We loved it.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Meridian Club, Pine Cay for beautiful beach, absolute relaxation, all meals but bring your own duty free. Nightlife only if you make it-not a young partying crowd. Wonderfully romantic, casual, sensual but not "glitzy."