Can't decide--Bonaire, Turks and Caicos, or Curacao

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying to decide on which of these islands to visit next. We are die-hard snorkelers and love nice beaches, but those are not required.

I know that Bonaire does not have sandy beaches but the snorkeling is supposed to be great with many areas.

Curacao is supposed to have some good snorkeling as well and maybe better beaches than Bonaire? Not sure about the variety of sites.

T&C has the great beaches but I can't seem to find many places to snorkel other than Bright and Smith reefs. Any other places to snorkel off the beaten path? This would be our top choice if the snorkeling variety was better.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. We want to be able to snorkel off out hotel beach. We've already been to St. John, St. Thomas, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen area, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Grand Cayman. Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Been to all 3. I would say that if you want beach and snorkeling, Curacao would be your pick. Bonaire has no sandy beaches(except for a couple of hotels that brought in sand). Great diving and snorkeling. Painted rocks on the roadside are used to mark sites. Curacao is very similar to Bonaire--painted rocks to mark sites. Good sandy beaches. Turks and Caicos(Provo is where I've been) have awesome white, soft sand and beautiful water. Snorkeling virtually non existent. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Hi Shandraw,

We had wonderful snorkeling off the beach of our hotel in Curacao. Here's a trip report if you are interested:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34487472

After clicking on and reading my above post, you may want to read the trip report rahmanbar promised to us in my thread after his return from he and his wife's trip:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519800

Happy planning, Tiff
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM
cdt

I don't agree that snorkeling is "virtually nonexistent" at Provo. However, snorkeling from shore is limited (Coral Gardens, Smith's Reef, Malcolm's Road Beach area). There is very good snorkeling at the barrier reef (a short boat ride) and more opportunities off North and Middle Caicos.

The one thing I'll say for Provo-area snorkeling is that the corals looked healthy and were impressive. Fish life good but not great.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:49 PM

CDT , Thanks for your reply as we are planning a snorkeling vaction next summer in Provo, it seems like a perfect place for snorkeling with kids, was hoping I have not made a mistake!!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM

I would pick Curacao. It also has many other selling points for when you are not snorkeling.