Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cannot use Voter's Registration as documentation of citizenship

Cannot use Voter's Registration as documentation of citizenship

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:12 AM
Posts: n/a
Cannot use Voter's Registration as documentation of citizenship

If you're travelling to Bermuda, and do not have a passport, be advised that the information contained in quotes below--which is pulled directly from the Fodor's Bermuda miniguide-- is not accurate. This is a lesson learned the hard way. A voter's registration will not substitute for having a passport or birth certificate. However, it is permissible to travel with an expired passport. <BR> <BR>Source of information below: Fodor's Miniguide: Bermuda <BR> <BR>" Passports & Visas <BR> U.S. & Canadian Citizens <BR>You do not need a passport or visa to enter Bermuda if you plan to stay less than six months, although you must have onward or return tickets and proof of identity <BR> <BR>(original birth certificate with raised seal or voter's registration card, along with photo ID; a driver's license is unacceptable). If you have a passport, bring it to ensure quick passage through immigration and customs." <BR> <BR>The most reliable source for what is permissible documentation is Bermuda Immigration. We also found the Bermuda Office of Travel and Tourism to be of assistance. <BR> <BR>
Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Posts: n/a
Janet: <BR> <BR>I have had the same experience traveling all over the Carib. My husband and I don't have passports (just lazy I guess) and bring our original birth certificate and driver's license. They always check both every time. I think the voter's registration is obsolete because the photo ID of the driver's license is more useful for confirming ID. We have been "scolded" twice by immigration to "get yourselves some passports" (our birth certificates are dog-eared..) and intent to do so before our next trip. <BR> <BR>...I hope you were allowed to proceed! (one time I forgot my birth cert and they made me sign an affadavit but allowed me to board the plane to depart)
Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Posts: n/a
Someon just posted on another board that "expired passport" was NOT good enough - they were not allowed to board for Jamaica. The passport must have expired LESS THAN ONE YEAR BEFORE. <BR> <BR Liz
Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Posts: n/a
I suggest getting a passport - you only have to go in person the first time you apply for one, and after that you can just mail it in for a renewal every 10 years. We just went on vacation to Turks & Caicos and it was hassle free to use the passports. It really is time well spent to get a passport (they are good for 10 years).
Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Posts: n/a
<BR>I travel the caribbean often and a passport is the only way to go. You may as well get one because in a couple of years, that is all that will be excepted anyway.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -