Search

Caneel with kids??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel with kids??

Now we're on the fence re: caneel vs. westin - our kids (9 and 12) said they'd love to just have a great beach. Has anyone stayed there with kids? 2 adjoining rooms? They spend so much time at home with friends, this is our time to be together as a family. My husband is really pushing for Caneel, but all these posts seem to support the Westin for families. Any suggestions? Thanks. And, if we do Caneel - are the "tennis garden rooms" really far from the beach? Hard to justify 2 $575 rooms . . . especially given all the comments on the simplicity of the rooms. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

Have not been to Caneel but heard they have no TV or phones in the rooms. Are your kids ok with that? Seems more like a couples resort. Westin has more activities for kids including an inflated trampoline off the beach. They won't miss the ice cream/popsicle cooler at the pool snack bar. Also, Westin has a nice snorkel/island hopping catamaran trip that leaves off its own dock.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:10 PM

Westin= Very kid friendly, tvs, games, good beach.<BR><BR>Caneel= privacy, quiet, no a/c, no tvs, no telephones, and excellent beach.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:39 AM

I think Caneel is a perfect choice, its easy to get around (by shuttle) or walking to all the beaches. Its a great spot to snorkel. The rooms are very comfortable, not glitzy, and now ALL rooms have a/c.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:00 AM

Stayed there with my kids a couple of years ago. If you want a classy, &quot;retreat like&quot; atsmosphere, on a beachs that are 2nd to none in the world. Choose Caneel. If however you prefer a more glitzy property on a OK beach and a very nice pool...go to the Westin. Know one thing though.....I'm sure there's a game room at the Westin, if your kids are like others, you'll never see them outside. <BR>IMHO, Caneel will give you the chance to spend better quality time with each other. Tennis rooms are not that far from the beach. In fact I'm sure there are rooms at the Westin that are just as far if not further. On top of that, the beaches at Caneel would be worth and extra 10 min walk even so if need be. Have fun wherever you choose!
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

after researching in depth where to stay in St. John, this is what I personally feel and think:<BR>Westin = Family Focused<BR>Caneel = Couples/Romance<BR>Maybe if you want to go to a caribbean island where the beaches are beautiful and cater more towards families, maybe St. John isn't really for you. What about Beaches in Turks and Caicos? Beautiful water, beaches and they offer a lot of activities for your entire family, I just think that St. John is a &quot;family atmosphere&quot; for the money, unless you rent a villa, or try St. Thomas. Just a thought....
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:54 PM

Yes. Hubby is right. A bit on the pricey side but check to see if they offer the 2nd room half price off season if that's when you are going. Their sister property Little Dix does. I think that it's a great place to do family time where you don't have the distractions of tv, phones, tv, noise and it's a lovely property. Don't know the age breakdown of the activities for the kids but they do offer some great ones including wind surfing lessons, snorkeling, eco-oriented nature walks and good activites for the kids who might want a break from mom and dad. <BR>The Westin is a beautiful property but just doesn't have the same appeal. You did mention &quot;family time&quot; and the suggestion for Beaches is more camp-like with non-stop activity. Good to stop and touch base with the family now and then for sure. You'll love St. John and Caneel!
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice! We took the plunge and booked at Caneel - got the second adjoining (BEACHFRONT!!) room at half price - that convinced us. Decided to splurge on beachfront - cause that's why we're going there! Also, decided that not having TV, gamerooms, and other rah-rah kid activities would really allow us to bond as a family - which is the whole point of the vacation! Hopefully the world will be settled down by summer . . . actually a peaceful resolution in the next few days would be ideal, wouldn't it? Peace to all you Fodorites.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Put in this way: up until a few years ago, Caneel Bay did not even ALLOW children under 12.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:25 AM

Nibos:<BR>Please come back to post aftr you return. I'd love to know how all of you enjoyed it, what you thought of the accommodations for the price, and what the kids did for fun! Looking forward to your review... It sounds like a perfect family vacation.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Dreamer2 - thanks for your vote of confidence! We're not going until July, apparently they have a festival the week of July 4th. That should provide some kid-friendly entertainment! Anyone ever been there for July 4th? We're very psyched - beautiful beaches, great snorkelling, a day in St. Thomas, a day at the Baths, hiking - my kids won't even notice there are no TVs!!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Don't think the rooms are per se adjoining, in the buildings where we stayed there was not an opening going from room to room, your entry was from the outside room to room and with 9 and 12 year olds there would be no way I would let my kids lock themselves in and me be in another room, even next door, if I couldn't get to them simply by walking through a doorway, through the interior part of the rooms.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

The hotel has confirmed the reservation for connecting rooms - I've been told that the rooms by Caneel beach are adjoining. I'll certainly double-check though!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 10:34 AM

there are no kid beaches and kid friendly beaches at caneel. personally my husband and i felt like it was much more of a family environment than a couples resort. it has lots of things geared towards families. they don't even separate family rooms from couple rooms. you should have a terrific time... there were tons of kids there. enjoy and wear your sunscreen.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Two rooms at $575 each !!! That's why most of us stay at the Westin or rent a villa. I'm glad for you that you can justify that kind of expense, but for us mere mortals, it is simply out of our league.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Ezron,<BR>If you read her post carefully she said they got the second room at 1/2 price! That's a really wonderful deal at this resort especially for beachfront rooms.<BR>Besides Nibos clearly says this is a special family vacation and the beachfront rooms are splurge. Instead of carping at her because she can afford something that you can't, why not just be happy for her. <BR>Personally I work very hard and make a only a very very middle income salary but I save for my yearly vacation and enjoy treating myself well for one week out of the year. <BR>Nibos, enjoy your vacation. You won't regret staying beachfront at Caneel. You and your family will have the time of your lives! Caneel is truly wonderful!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Hey Mermaid---IF you read MY post carefully, I said I was glad for her---and I am---its just a LOT of $$--- and many people on this forum get the feeling that they must stay at Caneel and pay the big bucks in order to enjoy SJ and that simply is not true.