Caneel Bay or Little Dix Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are are looking for comfort, luxury, casual ambiance, good food and low key activities for our 4 year old--with and without us. We also desire other attractions beyond the beach since we usually need at least one day out of the sun. We have narrowed it down to Caneel Bay or Little Dix Bay--would love some input. One last--we are travelling from Boston, so travel time could be a concern, but not a deal breaker. Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

If you click on my name, you may find some helpful detail. We know both places (Caneel a number of times;LD most recently this past December). I give a bunch of comparisons/contrasts. (I think in a trip report abt Virgin Gorda.) By the way, Caneel will be easier to get to. (LD is a abit more "family friendly.&quot
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Caneel is easier to get to, as they meet you at STT and take you to their boat. The grounds are more extensive at Caneel, and there are seven tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. It is easy to take their boat to STT for shopping and sights like the aquarium at Coki Point.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM

By the way-- don't know how impt this is to you, but LD has a gorgeous swimming pool and spectacular spa. We happen to prefer Caneel, but LD beats Caneel hands down in rooms, spa, and pool.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback--unbelievably helpful and I have no idea how I decided on getaways before!SO, I decided on Little Dix and then, the Buccaneer was thrown into the mix (ST Croix)by my husband. I saw favorable reviews--can anyone tell give me a pro/con summary--thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM

If I were you I'd stick with LDB and safe The Buccaneer for when your child is just a bit older. Then she will appreciate it more. LDB may not be as friendly for over 6yr but for a 4 yr old I dont think it makes all that much difference. You on the other hand will LOVE LDB. IMHO
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I like your post Michaelp-- and poss did mention that LD is more family friendly --I have concerns about other travellers not wanting ANY children around, or that there wont be other children at the resort. Am I overthink this or what?
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I realize your concerns however I still believe that at this somewhat early stage of your "parenting" experiece you still have the opportunity to spoil yourselves a bit. Before long you will have no choice but to find more kid friendly/oriented places because you'll want to keep your then older child more active and around other kids. I still suggest doing LDB and let the chips fall where they may.
IMHO
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I think I gave you the Buc suggestion on your other post; I want to give you a slightly different perspective than Michaelpl because I understand totally what you are going through; we took our 3-year old to Half Moon Bay in Jamaica which has a children's programs, etc., etc. and realized it is much more geared to adults and we ended up feeling uncomfortable. While, of course, we ensured that my daughter behaved, it is very stressful to always be on guard that a child is not being too noisy or running around too much. I have to tell you that I have looked at both Caneel and Little Dix Bay and their statements about children on their websites made me very wary that the resorts are more geared towards adults. As I said, my 5-year old loved the Buc, the children's program is geared towards younger children, they have very kid friendly food, etc.

Just my two cents,

Mary

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the unput. After reading Mary's post I called LD to make sure that more children would be at the resort and was told there are @ 40 kids registered for the week we were looking, so we booked it for 7 nights. Thanks Mary for The Bucaneer suggestion--it is in my head for next year. But I do agree that as she gets older our choices will be slightly more limited, so for now we are going to spoil ourselves -- that spa looks fantastic.
Finally--how easy is it to get to Caneel from LDB? If they don't have wade-in snorkeling at LD, I'd love to check it out there. Any other sights we should visit --living in Boston & being quite fair, I can only soak on in the sun all day for a few days!
Thanks everyone--
Stephanie
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Quite difficult to get from VG to Caneel. Interestingly, much easier in the opposite direction. Caneel does a private ferry run on Wednesdays (I think it's Wednesday.) But can't easily go from LD to Caneel for just the day. The scenery is so beautiful on VG. Just driving (or taking a private taxi tour) around the island will keep you out of the sun and still seeing gorgeous views. And of course you could spend a day at the spa-- mucho $$$$ though. There's also a nice (hilly) hiking trail-- several actually-- at LD and elsewhere on the island. Part of it is in the shade.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM

sounds good with that many kids! Glad it worked out.

Have fun,

Mary