Search

Cancun or Caymans?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 07:02 AM
Jay

Cancun or Caymans?

We are having trouble deciding on where to go for a week's vacation in May. We have narrowed it down to either Cancun or Grand Cayman because both have great beaches and water activities. If anyone can help us out, it would really be appreciated!!

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 10:52 AM
Steve

I have been to both and had a great time at both. Cancun and the Caymans both have very beautiful beaches, so you can't go wrong with either one. Cancun has got the Mayan ruins nearby and the nightlife, whereas Caymans are a little more laid back. For snorkeling and Diving, Caymans have the edge, but for all around fun, you'll find more at Cancun. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip wherever you decide to go.

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 07:44 PM
Mare

Hi Jay! We have been to both twice-and are thinking about Cayman for the 3rd time! Can't beat that beach! Cancun has had black flags out most of the time we are there! Can't even think about our son going in over his feet due to undertows! Cayman on the other hand is like bathwater!! Take that into consideration as to what is important to you! We tend to have a good time wherever we go!

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 06:32 PM
d motl

Get the beach of the Caymans <BR>while 7 miles from Cancun. Try <BR>great hotels from $45 to $150. Not <BR>much differance in facilitties--the prices are just for social classes which don't count for much on Isla <BR>Mujeres. Email us for our homemade <BR>travel tips based on our years of travel to the Island. No strings--we just think the place is great compared <BR>to other places we have visited in mexico and the carribean. <BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 05:49 AM
kris

I've been to Cancun twice, and Grand Cayman on a cruise. I loved both. Cancun you have a choice, to either do nothing at all or activities, both day and night. Grand Cayman is a beautiful island, but much more laid back. I loved swimming with the stingrays there, and always reflect back to that as one of my most memorible experiences of all my travels. I look foward to going back to both Cancun and Grand Cayman, but Grand Cayman only with another cruise ship, there really isn't alot to do there. The people I travel with always look for someplace where we have the option to do things, in case we get bored, activities are right there.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Ted

I've also been to both places, and they are very different. Cancun is wild, footloose, decadent. Cayman is very British, conservative, Anglican. What type of vacation are you looking for? Partying all night or relaxation? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Diane

Haven't been to the Caymans but understand they are more costly. When we went to Cancun, we rented a car and visited the Yucatan coast for more secluded beaches -- from Akumal, to Xpu Ha to Playa del Carmen, also did a day trip to Isla Mujeres, which was delightful. The beaches in Mexico are open to the public and people there all seemed to be enjoying paradise -- not just the tourists. That was what differentiates the Mexican Caribbean from the rest of the Caribbean. (I really feel Cancun, Cozumel, Akumal etc are more Caribbean than Latin American. You can, however get more Cancun type info in the Latin America forum.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Bill

You've probably made up your mind by now, but here's my 2 cents' worth. I've been to Cancun 3 times and Grand Cayman once; we're heading back to Grand Cayman in July. The water activities are similar; diving is better in the Caymans, snorkeling is about the same. The big differences are the beaches -- no surf in the Caymans, sometimes rough waves in Cancun. Caymans are more gentrified and MUCH more expensive. You can't go wrong either way.