Has anyone stayed at the Tamarijn in Aruba?

Mar 2nd, 2000, 11:34 AM
Debbie

Has anyone stayed at the Tamarijn in Aruba?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Aruba in August. We don't necssarilly go for the glitz and glamor (because of our budget) just someplace that nice's and clean, because we are only in the room to shower and sleep. After doing research on Aruba and finding the rates are 50% off during the summers months I startedd checking out hotels. Found the Tamarijin on the web and it was in our price range, plus all the rooms were ocean front. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Are we making a mistake by staying there?

Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:25 PM
Sara

The Tam is not the Ritz but a nice all-inclusive in the low-rise area. It is not too far from town (there is a bus that is dependable and inexpensive and stops in front of the hotel). If you want to be in about the same price range but a step up, then I would recommend their sister resort the DIvi which is next door.

Here's a site with great rates to Aruba:

http://www.travelunlimited.com

Mar 3rd, 2000, 10:26 PM
JanGail

Debbie,
The Tamarijin and its sister resort,
the Divi Mega enjoy a good
reputation for a casual, laid back
vacation. Its only drawback is that
the beach there is very narrow
and rather small. However, if you
walk a few feet north towards Casa
del Mar, and then the Aruba Beach Club, then to its neighbor, the Manchebo Beach Resort, you will find a really great
beautiful beach to enjoy. In fact,
I would think the Manchebo Beach
resort would be in your price range--
the resort also offers a limited inclusive meal plan called the "Beach
Lover's Inclusive". You can find out
more about this resort and its rates
at www.manchebo.com
I'm not sure where you live, but you
might want to check out the
air/hotel packages offered by
Vacation Express--- go to their
website for information or to your
travel agent: www.vacationexpress.com
Hope this helps your planning!!!
JanGail

Mar 4th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Randy

Debbie-
I haven't seen the inside of a Tamarijn room in 2 years, but what I saw in 1998 turned me off completely. Granted it may have been the room I saw, but it wasn't pleasant. My wife and I visited her cousin and husband who were staying at this resort. Their room had broken AC upon check-in. It was never fixed the entire week. As a result of this, the room had a peculiar musty smell and even clothing hanging in the closet grew mildew! This is odd given that the island is a desert. The room reminded me of a badly maintained Holiday Inn (if that's not being redundant). They complained but without any improvement in the situation, took pictures and got a partial refund when they returned home. They'd have much preferred to get a better room rather than a refund. It put a huge damper on their second honeymoon.

I also agree compared to other resorts, the beach is much smaller at this resort. Good advice above in terms of other resorts in the same price range to consider. Good luck!

Mar 4th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Anastasia

My husband and I stayed at the Divi on our honeymoon in 1997. We could eat and drink at the Tamarijin since we had an all-inclusive package. We really enjoyed it. The Divi's been upgraded since them. My in-laws have stayed there before and after the upgrade. They always love it! Also, several other people I know have enjoyed it (my sister-in-law/her husband and a co-worker). It's what you're looking for - a place that's nice and clean.

Mar 17th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Cathy

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful week in Aruba. We stayed at the Tam and had a wonderful time. Very relaxed comfortable resort with friendly staff.Food was good and lots of variety. We wanted a quiet relaxing atmosphere and that's just what we got Can't wait to go back.
Have fun !