Search

Cancun Is It Safe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 1998, 01:43 PM
Carol Deller

Cancun Is It Safe

I am planning to go to Cancun at the end of the month. A recent report on Dateline said the crime rate in Mexico is very bad, it did say the worst problem is in Mexico City. I would like to know if anyone has had a problem in Cancun. I am staying at the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach. Should I travel by taxi or bus to downtown area. Any suggestions on tours. Is the water a problem I have heard different stories some people have problems other do not. Any problems with using ice in your drinks.

Old May 1st, 1998, 01:46 PM
nancy

Hi!
We traveled to Cancun in January with our family and stayed at the Coral Beach. We loved it and felt very safe. Our daughters went out at night and felt very comfortable walking back to our hotel alone- a nice taxi driver told us it was safe - there were so many people around. We only traveled by taxi and rented a car one day. Water was okay - no one got sick. It sounds as if there are alot of seasoned Cancun travelers on this site, so I'm sure you'll be able to get much more info than I've given you. Enjoy the hotel - we did.

Old May 4th, 1998, 04:40 AM
Audrey and Dan

We have been to Cancun twice, 1997 and this year. Yes, it is safe in the Hotel Zone and in most of downtown; just be sensible. We wouldn't worry about letting our teenage and early-20s kids go out at night (there's a lot for them to do), and the Hotel Zone bus is great (and cheap). We did have some problems this year with food and water; again, be sensible. The weather and the people are great; and it can be as low key or action-packed as you wish.

Old May 7th, 1998, 06:44 AM
Dawn

I visited Cancun last year with my friend. The Fiesta you will be staying in is a beautiful hotel. All the water along the strip in Cancun is purified because it is a tourist area. But if you still don't feel safe they do sell bottled water. Maybe the only time it isn't purifed is the ice cubes or if you have a mixed drink. I personally had no problems at all.

Old May 26th, 1998, 11:00 AM
Sean Jacques

My wife and I and another couple were in Cancun for the week after Easter. We never felt unsafe. Our first night we didn't know how the bus stystem worked, so we got on a rode it for the whole route. We wound up downtown in a "bad" looking area, but never felt unsafe. the bus system is great, and as long as you stay in the hotel zone and use common sense, you'll have no problems. Email me if you need more info.

Old May 26th, 1998, 11:03 AM
Sean Jacques

My wife and I and another couple were in Cancun for the week after Easter. We never felt unsafe. Our first night we didn't know how the bus stystem worked, so we got on a rode it for the whole route. We wound up downtown in a "bad" looking area, but never felt unsafe. the bus system is great, and as long as you stay in the hotel zone and use common sense, you'll have no problems. Email me if you need more info.