Search

Cancun drinking water

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:30 AM
lydia

Cancun drinking water

We'll be staying at the Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa in Cancun <BR>this summer. It's our first trip to Mexico. Is that: "chew pepto bismol" four times a day advice really necessary? Can't you get sealed bottled water and sodas in the hotels? Do they use tap water to make frozen blender drinks? <BR>Thanks! We're used to the Carribbean where the drinking water isn't an issue.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:10 AM
ang

Please beware of the water!!!! We had a TERRIBLE experience last year that we hope no one else goes through. I too travel to the caribbean regularly and have never had problems, i even went to Costa Rica 2 years ago (still no problems) bit not so with Cancun! We stayed at the cancun Palace a somewhat upscale all-inclusive and were told the water was fine on the resort and only to be areful off-property. Well, we never left the propert and still got sick. I never actually drank water at the hotel but we did have frozen drinks and brushed our teeth etc with tap water. by day 3, all 4 of us had terrible cramping some throwing up, others with Montezuma's revenge. I'm not even sure Pepto 4 times a day would have helped. We personally will not return. In fact my husband had continued cramping for a week after we got back and finally went to the dr. He was told he had a bacteria whih had infeted his colon and had to take some medicine (maybe antibiotics bu ti don't remember) Please watch out!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Hanna

I whole-heartedly agree -- STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER!!! I went to Cancun in 1993 and somehow contracted h. pylori during my trip there. It comes from fecal matter contamination, which experts think can be contracted either from drinking the water or from food handled by workers who haven't washed their hands. I didn't know for years why I had such gastric upset all the time. I was finally diagnosed after a blood test and then went on a two-week drug therapy to eradicate the h. pylori bacteria. It was a horrible experience, as I didn't get cured until this year!!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Tricia

I, too, have had the unpleasant experience of "Montozuma's Revenge". I went to Cancun and was sick about 3 days into my trip and for months afetr I got back. The fact is, you cannot avoid the water. Even if you drink bottled water; if you have a drink, there's ice, salads and fruit are washed in the water. While others I vacationed with did not get sick, it depends on the individual. Not a chance I'll ever take again.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Tanya

I agree with the other posts - avoid any type of water unless bottled. In Cancun the tourist bureau insists you can drink the water because it is purified. Don't chance it. It is difficult to avoid dirreahea - 3 of 4 people in our party were affected. I wound up with a serious "bug" which still bothers my small intestine 10 years later. It took doctors almost one year to diagnose even though I sought medical attention in Mexico. The Dr. there said it was probably from food which had feces in it - and it may have been from the most expensive restaurant we ate at or the least expensive. As well, avoid outside buffets where flys tend to congregate on the food - big transmitters of bacteria! There is over the counter medicene you can get in Cancun which will help alleviate the cramping (can't remember the name), however, you shouldn't try and stop the "runs" as the bacteria causing the problems needs to be flushed out!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:01 PM
d motl

We have spent a lot of time in the area. <BR>We do not feel that the water is the problem. Although we do not drink it any more than we do the water in our home town due to clorine etc. When traveling to Mexico you face two prolems. The first is fruit--it is wonderfull--you get it for breakfast and every drink you order--you can not get enough because it is fresh . Lest you forget it is also a natural laxative--especially pinapple. We have friends down there who go to the US every two years--they get the scoots every time due to the differance in natural bacteria in the food. Take it from us old timers--the best defense is Acidophilus (dried Yogurt)--it is in the vitamin section. Take a tablet 3 times per day to keep your natural intestine bacterias from being overwhelmed by the Mexican natural bacteria. The nice part is that after going down there a few times your system just adapts with out any help

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Billy

Hi Lydia, <BR> Just another data point. I recently spent 10 days in Cancun with my lady friend. We split our time between the two Hyatt properties on the island. Ate in both, as well as other restaurants; even had some snacks and iced drinks at the local Bull Ring. No problems for us, but as Tricia mentioned, I guess it depends on the individual. <BR> <BR>Cheers <BR>