Reload this Page >

Jalousie Hilton vs. Hyatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:54 PM
tiffany

I am planning my honeymoon to St. Lucia in August. I have narrowed down my choices to the Jalousie Hilton and the Hyatt. I know they are completely different, but would like to hear opinions concerning both resorts, including pros and cons, also, if you could comment on each's location on the island. Thank you.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Lizzie

Do a search! There is tons of information about both of these resorts already. I believe there's plenty concerning the differences between the two. I myself love the Jalousie Hilton - quite, secluded, beautiful rooms, impeccable service.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Loren

Hi, <BR>I just returned from a stay at the Hyatt, St Lucia. My girlfriend and I spent 8 days there. As nice and new as the Hyatt is, I don't feel it meets Hyatt standards. The staff is hardly helpful which I found to be very frustrating. We actually spent most of our stay outside the resort. We spent alot of time at the opposite end of the island, a 2 hr drive at the Hilton and Anse Chastenet, regretting not staying there. As nice as our stay on he Island was, it was not due to our experience at the Hyatt. Personally I would recommend the Hilton. I hope this info is helpful.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:54 AM
lindybeth

I had the same delema when planning my own honeymoon for July of this year! My fiancee and I couldn't decide which end of St. Lucia to stay at so we decide on both! We will be staying at the Hyatt for 4 days and the Hilton for 5 days. There is a lot of great information on both hotels on this site. The North and South sides of St. Lucia seem to offer a different view of the island (the North is busier with more nightlife and the South is for nature lovers). This is our first trip to the island, but I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Ashley

We're going in July and staying at the Hilton. However, I knew I wanted to be on the south side. Jalousie Hilton has received consistent 5 star reviews on wheretostay.com and on Fodors Rants and Raves. It seems like you can't go wrong with the Hilton. All of the well-known sites are on the south end, and you wouldn't be making the long drive from the Hyatt.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Jan

We stayed at the Jalouise Hilton last year and it was one of the best vacations I have ever taken. It simply was a beautiful resort and there is nothing like it in the carribean. My husband and I dream of the next time we can visit.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Mark

I recently booked the Jalousie based on conde nast travel magazine's very high rating on it. They rated it 3rd best resort in all the carribean behind Four Seasons -Nevis and Little Dix bay in Virgin Gorda, both of which were fabulous. It's just a pain to get to and everyone recommends the helicopter transport from the airport. It's well worth the money as the ride is very long and bumpy.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Adam

I am glad you decided on Jalousie. I was there last month for my honeymoon. I cannot say enough things that would describe how incredible my experience was. <BR> <BR>If you have any questions about the resort, let me know.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Larry

I'll throw in a vote for the Hyatt. My wife and I just returned from a 1 week trip, and LOVED every moment of it. Contrary to another poster, we felt the service was excellent and very accomodating. Of course it helped that we had a big smile on our faces and were in a good mood the entire time. The good vibes were very contagious. <BR> <BR>We also spent an entire day down in the south, had lunch at Jalousie, etc. I can't comment on the rooms obviously, but we thought the atmosphere and grounds at the Hyatt were superior overall. The service was just as friendly, and the beaches are comparable (except the Hyatt's is much bigger), but we really liked the newness of the Hyatt and how spacious the resort is. Despite having many more rooms than Jalousie, it never felt crowded due to the sheer amount of space. Also, the pools can't be compared. And there were the little things too, such as the nicer landscaping on the grounds, and the Hyatt being a little cooler due to perpetual breezes from being flanked by 2 oceans. Sure the Pitons are magnificent, but if the views are really what you're after, you should go with the Ladera. Being at the base of the mountains, I thought the Jalousie felt a little closed in. <BR> <BR>Certainly the Jalousie is a beautiful place, but we preferred the Hyatt for our needs. As someone else said, you really can't go wrong with either, but I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:20 AM
mary

Let me just add my opinion as well and refute an earlier comment about the Hyatt. I just got back last night from St. Lucia and have spent the morning saying wonderful things to everyone I can about the Hyatt. It was the most impeccably maintained, beautiful spacious comfortable, safe, relaxing and delightful resort I have ever been to and I have traveled a lot in the Caribbean. <BR> <BR>What struck me from the minute I arrived in the glorious open air lobby area of the Hyatt was the kindness of the staff there. These people would literally bend over backwards to help--and they would have a smile on their face as they did so. <BR> <BR>We were there 7 days and I wanted to stay another week. There were a lot of couples who had rented villas in the hills of Cap Estates who had moved down to the Hyatt because it was so beautiful and accessible and the villas were very remote and unequipped. I wish I could somehow convey in words how perfect the Hyatt was. I filled up two guest comment cards at the end of our trip because I had so many nice things to say about the staff, the pool, the flowers and landscaping, the beach, our beautiful room and the food. Everything I ate was delicious and it was very affordable. <BR> <BR>Enough about the Hyatt. Suffice it to say, I loved it. The Jalousie, however, is also wonderful. A whole different experience, as it is on the south end of the island and is much more remote. But possibly more dramatically beautiful. I was with my mom at the Hyatt so I liked the accessibility to other things from the Hyatt, but if I were on a honeymoon or romantic getaway, I would probably have chosen Ladera. It is, I believe, the moste beautiful place on the island. <BR> <BR>You really can't go wrong with either the Hyatt or the Jalousie. They are both fantastic. St. Lucia is just a wonderful, wonderful island and you will love your vacation!