Can you help me pick an island?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Sue

Can you help me pick an island?

Two years ago, I went to Long Bay on Tortola with my husband and preteens. We LOVED it. The price was reasonable for a semi-luxury place, the people were friendly and snorkeling was breathtaking. What I loved the most is that we had practically the whole island to ourselves. We went in the summer. So here's my question...we want to go back to the islands again this summer, using my comments, should we go back to Long Bay or is there somewhere with more luxury, beautiful beaches, a small town to do stuff and not a lot of people? I can not tell you how much fun it is to have a whole beach to yourself!! Thanks. Sue

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
anon

If you loved Tortola and Long Bay, you will go nuts over any place else. I assume from your excitement that this was your fisrt trip to the Caribbean?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Sue

Anon,
What I was excited about were the nearly empty beaches and the friendly people. I take it you've been to Tortola and didn't like it. I liked the non-touristy feel of the island. What would you suggest?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Candace

I haven't been to the island you have but I really liked St. John and plan to go there for spring break 2004. St. Martin would be a close second for me.
I have spent a day each on these islands because I was on a cruise.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:15 PM
julie

I am 32 years old and I have been to alot of different places. Hawaii, Puerto Vallarta, California, cruises. So far my husband and I choose Grand Cayman over them all. Go in off-season, like June or July and you have to stay at the Hyatt. We pay for an island-view room and usually get free upgrade to garden view. The beach is across the street but not a problem to get to. In the summer it is not over crowded at all. It is a small, and peaceful island. There is not alot of nightlife, which should be no problem considering the age of your children. The restaraunts are wonderful,especially Cassanova's and Calypso's!!! I highly recommend you see it at least once. It has the best diving and snorkeling of any island I have been to.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:05 PM
sue

Well, we've decided! The call of the uncrowded beaches and the friendly people are taking us back to Tortola. This time we've rented a villa. I now can not wait to get back. Looking forward to hearing Quito sing.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Shar

Just a thought that Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands has beautiful beaches and you can rent a villa such as at Leverick Bay Villas with use of the facilities at Leverick Bay.