Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Can anyone comment on these 3 DR AI's, Occidental Flamenco Beach, Occidental Gran Hotel or Caribbean Village Playa Grande?

Search

Can anyone comment on these 3 DR AI's, Occidental Flamenco Beach, Occidental Gran Hotel or Caribbean Village Playa Grande?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 11:24 AM
renee

I found good rates at these all-inclusives in Playa Dorada and was wondering if canyone could comment on the food, accomodations, kids programs and facilities of any of the above hotels. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:05 PM
traveler

I would not recommend the Occidentail Flamenco at all---we were there about 3 years ago & it was a dump---it is at least 15 years old. I have heard that it's been renovated, but find out first before you go. The Riu Merengue is fabulous, we've been there twice & you can't beat the Riu chain for value & quality. Riu Bambu in Punta Cana is also great (the Riu Palace next door is too formal for my taste) & the beach is awesome, especially compared to the one at Puerto Plata.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:18 PM
wendy

Check out www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR>There is a review for every DR Resort that you can think of!<BR><BR>Good Luck!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Parrot Mom

Have been to the D.R. six times and planning a seventh..I definetely hated and I used that word again..hated the Occidental and would never go back. Look at Debbiesdominican for the resorts in Punta Cana (Catalonia Bavaro) or La Romana where we are going back in February or March I hope.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:24 AM
renee

So that's why it's so inexpensive. You've piqued my curiousity parrot mom. Please tell me what was so bad about the Occidental? Sounds interesting...

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:27 AM
renee

Sorry I wasn't finished. I did look at the reviews at Debbie's and all but one for the Occidental Flamenco were very good, that's why I'm a bit confused. Frommer's even gives it a star as one of it's top recommendations. Parrot mom, could you please elaborate? Thanks.