Search

Camping on St. John's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 12:35 PM
Beth

Camping on St. John's

My family of 4 (daughters age 14 and 17)want to vacation on St. John's. I have heard that camping on the platform tent sites is terrific (near National Park). Where to you suggest?

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 02:32 AM
Ronnie

I think the platform tent camping they speak of may be Maho Bay. They have a website mahobay.com there is also Cinnamon Bay which ahs tent sites, platforms and cottages. Check VInow.com there may be some info there as well as st-john.com <BR>Ronnie <BR>BTW It's St. John no 'S' that's in Antiqua and if that's where you are talking about, I don't know!

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 03:54 PM
Deborah

Beth, I stayed at Maho Bay a couple of years ago. Their tents are great! <BR>I had one at the point with a view of the caribbean and St Thomas. It was clean and kept in good condition. The beds are comfortable. We had two twins. We shared our tent with little lizards that kept the mosquitos away.I left without one bite!! It's so fun with beautiful grounds and friendly staff! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Write me if you have any other questions,OK? Debbie <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 04:22 PM
happycamper

It is a great campsite. The beach is beautiful. One of the best capmsites I have seen. Enjoy!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 12:38 PM
CARA

MAHO BAY CAMPING IS GREAT...WE WENT FOR ONE NIGHT ON OUR 2 WEEK HONEYMOON JAUNT THROUGH THE ISLANDS AND LIKED IT SO MUCH THAT WE STAYED THER FOR 2 ADDITIONAL NIGHTS ON THE WAY BACK TO ST. THOMAS. THE PLATFORM TENTS ARE AS CLEAN AS A WHISTLE AND BUG PROOF, COME EQUIPPED WITH COOKING SUPPLIES AND A COUCH AND TABLE. COLD WATER SHOWERS ONLY IN THE SHOWER HOUSE. THE DINING HALL, ALL OUTSIDE UP ON A HILL WITH A TO DIE FOR VIEW HAS GREAT MEALS EVERY EVENING FOR ABOUT $12 BUCKS A PERSON, WITH VINO AND BEERS AVAILABLE TOO. BRING BUG SPRAY AND ONE FLASH LIGHT PER PERSON!!!! ONLY DOWN SIDE IS IF IT'S RAINING FOR A LONG DURATION. BEAUTIFUL.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 10:46 AM
joan

Beth, <BR> <BR>I too camped at Maho, and it was so beautiful. Only one problem: the no-see-ums were unbelievable. Even though I sprayed with Deet, wore long pants and long sleeves for sleeping, the little bastards still got through the floorboards in the platform and chewed me alive. I was completely covered with bites (we went in October). It was not very rainy, either. However, my (hairy) husband had no problem. I would not go camping there again, but that is the only reason. The view was awesome, the water was the color of heaven. Tents high on the hill have the best view. <BR>Joan