BVIs or Antigua?

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:21 AM
jpb

BVIs or Antigua?

Hi everyone -

We are debating between the BVIs (staying in Tortola and taking a few day trips to Virgin Gorda and maybe St. John) and Antigua. We can go for a week, and are primarily interested in relaxing, great beaches, snorkeling, and friendly people. For anyone who has been to the BVIs or Antigua, can you help us figure out where to go? In addition, if you have any recommendations on places to stay in the moderate price range (either AI or not...we open to anything), we'd appreciate it! Thanks -

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Eva

I would pick the BVIs over Antigua in a heartbeat ... though its purely personal preference. Went to Antigua several years ago and found the landscape dry (it was March) and uninspiring, and the people a bit on the frosty side, perhaps a little jaded by cruise ship crowds (which call more regularly, and with larger ships, than they do in the BVI). Admittedly, the beaches are lovely. In contrast, the BVI have appealed enough to warrant 4 visits, which is virtually unheard-of for us. The landscape is hilly and green, with a wide variety of beaches; the BVIslanders are warm and friendly; and you have access to different islands with different personalities for exploration.

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Nancy

Hi jpb,
I preferred the BVI's over Antigua for several reasons (just my opinions y'all
We stayed on Tortola, and I think it's prettier visually.
I found the people to be friendlier.
We enjoyed very good snorkeling on Tortola which was easily accessible.
We found the beaches a little more scenic.
Having the options to island-hop to several different places was fun. We really had fun on Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke.
You can easily and affordably engage in world class sailing via a crewed or bareboat charter.
I never recommend AI's. We stayed at Long Bay and found it to be a moderate quality place for a resonable rate.

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Penney

I have notbeen to BVI but have been to Antigua and from what I have read, I too would go to BVI.

Don't get me wrong, theer are some wonderful resorts on the island - Blue Waters, Galley Bay, Sandals, Jumby Bay, St. James, etc... The people are not overly friendly - kind of stand-offish. Beaches are beautiful, poor otown area but great harbor, some beautiful muontain ranges and look outs but in general, not an overly beautiful island.

I have heard rave reviews on BVI.

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:26 AM
linda

J,
We are planning our second trip to Tortola. We will probably repeat our stay at Long Bay- like the quiet location and beauty. BVIs are paradise. We love the funky beach bars, friendly islanders, laissez-faire attitude. Snorkeling is great over at the Indians and Caves- take a day sail with experts who know the best spots. If I were you, I wouldn't bother to take a day trip to St John. It has nothing to offer that you wouldn't find in the BVI. (Beaches, hiking, restaurants) Do plan on trips to VG, Jost Van Dyke and maybe a day trip to Anegada. Check out traveltalkonline.com for BVI trip reports- very helpful!

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Trish

My husband and I would give Antigua six stars. We stayed at Sandals, which is their best resort, in our opinion. Very impressed with how friendly the residents were. An array of beaches - 365 of them. The downtown area is mostly poor, but there were some shops that were a little nicer and a large selection of items to buy. A great harbour with some very posh boats. It was an exquisite trip for us.