BVI's: Anegada and What Else?

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Mariarosa

BVI's: Anegada and What Else?

I'm toying around with various Caribbean vacation options for September (DR, Antigua...). One of them would be to go to the BVI's. My only previous experience with BVI's was a day-trip from St. John to the Baths and The Caves. The islands looked beautiful and the snorkeling at the Caves was great.

So here is my question...I am tempted to stay a few nights in Anegada to do some serious snorkeling, but I don't want to spend a whole week there. So I would like to combine 2-3 nights in Anegada (probably try to rent a cottage) with 4-5 nights somewhere else. We are on a budget (about $250 per day for 2 people including accomodations and meals), so can't do Biras, Peter or Little Dix. We appreciate good food. We also love sailing small catamarans, so a place that has some complimentary equipment or rental equipment would be great. What are some options for the "somwehere else" part? Cooper Island? Tortola? Virgin Gorda? Jost Van Dyke?

Any input on islands/accomodations will be greatly appreciated!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Joy Studevent

Your choice is an easy one - definitely head to Jost Van Dyke. There you will find several accommodations, but I suggest you either stay at White Bay Campground (if you like that sort of thing). It's directly on the beach, but very rustic. My favorite spot is Sand Castle. There are only about 10-12 cottages (again, right on the beach). The service is excellent and the spot is popular with the boaters who come from St. Thomas, St. John, and the BVI's. They are famous for a drink called "Pain Killer" - check it out. I lived in the Virgin Islands for many years and use to go to Jost Van Dyke at least twice a month. The food at Sand Castle is limited, but good. However, Foxy's (famous in the Carib)has a grand buffet on Friday and Saturdays for a good price (lots of food to choose from) and they also have live music. They are several other restaurants in the small town and they all have great lobster and fish. The accommodations at Sand Castle are approximately $125-200 per night, depending on the time of year that you go. White Bay is a breath-taking beach, and snorkeling is pretty wonderful if you follow the rocks around the bend. ENJOY - you won't be disappointed.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:52 AM
Joel

Mariarosa, regarding the Anegada and snorkeling part of your plans, I would carefully explore whether or not the snorkeling on Anegada will live up to your expectations. Snorkeling in the BVI has been good enough for me and my wife and I have been to Anegada as well as about a dozen other BVI snorkeling sites, at Peter, Norman, Pelican, Great Dog, and Cooper Islands. From reading about places like the Caymans, I suspect there is better snorkeling to be found on other islands. If snorkeling was my main goal and I was looking for pristine waters and underwater vistas, I'd be sure I researched all of the Caribbean before settling on the BVI. As to Anegada itself, the standard thing is to go to Loblolly Bay and snorkel there.
You are correct that spending a whole lot of time there would be tedious, but the price is right. All in all, Anegada is good for sunbathing, snorkeling, eating lobster, relaxing, diving wrecks, and anything else a desert island away from civilization would provide (except no pirates). As to accomodations on Anegada, I think you have a choice of only 2 places, the Anegada Reef Hotel is one and last I knew their summer rate was 180-230 per night on the American Plan. That was in 1998 and it seems quite expensive.
Joy's recommendation sounds good. Yost seems to appeal to the younger, more eclectic crowd and was big for things like Millenium parties. I don't know that the snorkeling will be significantly different than the places I've mentioned.
On Tortola there are a couple of low budget hotels that are quite satisfactory for their price range and would be close enough to Road Town so that you would not have to rent a car or pay the hefty taxi fares to get around. I suggest you look at bviwelcome.com for Hotel Castle Maria ($60-110), Fort Burt ($85-255), ($40-70), Maria's Hotel-by-the-Sea ($70-210), and Ole Works ($50-175). I can and do vouch for all of these as being clean, well run, and popular. Only Ole Works is far from Road Town, but it's on Cane Garden Bay which is a beautiful location. I doubt you'd find "complimentary equipment" at any of these places at these rates.
If you are interested in a great snorkeling trip, I highly recommend Patouche II, a catamaran out of Road Town, probably within walking distance from several of the hotels I've mentioned. I've taken them either 3 or 4 times. A good sail and excellent sites.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 04:59 AM
Joel

Mariarosa, I have a typo in my message just above. It shows "($40-70)" as a hotel rate but I had deleted the hotel which was the Jolly Roger Inn at Soper's Hole. I deleted it because I think it really is just a restaurant with some rooms upstairs. The location is nice as far as overlooking the harbor at Soper's Hole, and the food in the restaurant, which is actually an open air porch, is delicious, but overall it's not much more than a place to eat and sleep.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:30 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Joy and Joel! Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to look into them.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:18 AM
RJ

Mariarosa:

Spent four days on Anegada for our honeymoon and adored every minute of it. There are a couple of lodging options, including the Anegada Reef Hotel and a campground, but we stayed at the Anegada Seaside Villas, owned and run by Wilfred Creque, who also runs the Anegada Beach Cottages and Pomato Point restaurant. The villas are absolutesly adorable, a cluster of six or seven of them at the western most tip of the island, away from EVERYTHING else. Four of them are right on the water, fifteen feet of beautiful white sand between the large back porch and the swimming pool ocean. Really stunning. In September, the rate should be $170 a night - I'd recommend renting a jeep (also from Wilfred) for $50 a day; I know that puts it pretty close to your price limit, but the jeep comes in handy as you're all alone out there and as of last November there were no phones. One person we spoke to recommended borrowing a CB radio and calling Tony's Taxi on the radio instead of a jeep rental, which would be a cheaper option.

As to the snorkelling, we have only ever snorkelled the BVIs, but the western part of Loblolly was hands down the best we saw (also went at Smuggler's Cove, White Bay JVD, the Caves, and the Baths/Devil's Bay). Stunning huge coral formations, all very much alive, and tons of fish, rays, etc. The benefit of staying on the island is that you can get there before the daytrippers make it in, since by mid-afternoon it's crowded by Anegada standards; you will always be able to find a beach somewhere else that you can have entirely to yourself.

Anegada is an experience that not everyone will enjoy - VERY rustic, VERY secluded, very basic. But if you want to get away from it all and spend the most peaceful couple of days you can imagine, I couldn't recommend it more highly. Treat yourself to a great dinner at Neptune's Treasure with the Soares family, enjoy Wilfred's BBQ lobster at Pomato Point, and unwind.

Have a great trip.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
RJ

Forgot to add the website for the villas (poorly designed site on my browser at least, but you'll get the idea): www.anegadavillas.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Mariarosa

Hi RJ! Thank you so much for the information! I hear that the lobster in Anegada is pretty good. How has the lobster at Pomato Point? How much should we budget for 2 adults for a nice lobster dinner? Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:03 AM
RJ

My wife and I disagreed over the best lobster, but then we only tried two places - she preferred our Thanksgiving Dinner lobster at Neptune's Treasure (a wonderful family owned/run restaurant which also has CHEAP guest rooms), while I preferred Wilfred's huge beachfront BBQ lobsters at Pomato Point. Either place, you're out $30-40 each on a lobster dinner. Completely worth it, if you ask me. Anegada lobster is very different from New England lobster: bigger, meatier, tougher, more flavor... the ones at Pomato Point have to have been 2 or 3 pounds each. My wife couldn't finish hers, which is unheard of.

Anegada Reef Hotel is VERY popular with the sailing crowd, and the lobster sandwiches we had there were terrific, but the place was a little crowded and boisterous for us - if you're into a more social scene that's the place to be.

Have a wonderful time on Anegada.