Search

BVI hopping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BVI hopping

My husband & I would like to visit several BV islands, spending a few days on each. How difficult would it be to get to/from each island?

I know there are a lot of ferry services coming out of Tortolla so it seems to make sense to start & end there (plus we can fly there).

How would be the best way to arrange this? Any good websites that would be useful in planning this? Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM

If I were you, I consider chartering a crewed (captain and chef) sailboat. That way you can travel between islands at your convenience and time table, you'll always have good accomodations, all your food and drink, the ability dine or bar-hop" "on island" whenever you want and you'll have access to a complete array of waterspots and snorkeling sites. The best part is you'll be able to visit more islands while only having to unpack your bags once, you'll spend more of your time enjoying the islands rathger that taking a series of taxis and ferries between resorts and, if you wish, you can enjoy cocktails while watching the sunset from a different anchorage every night of your vacation.

It's really the best way to island hop around the BVI's.

For an idea of costs and sample itineraries check out the following websites:

www.moorings.com
www.visailing.com
www.bgcharters.com
www.sailthebvi.com
www.caribbeancruisingclub.com

Or you can do a google search using such topics as "Yacht Charters, BVI's" and you'll find lots of information.

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like fun but a bit too expensive. Now I'm thinking of just picking 2 or 3 islands. I still could use recommendations on getting to & from these islands.

Years ago we took a Windjammer cruise and got to visit several islands. We loved it but this time we’d like to spend more time in one place.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Here's the BVI Ports authority. Gives all the ferry companies & schedules.

http://tinyurl.com/ygvj3a
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I think this one might be more helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/wpe45
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Carrybean provided a great site (I just bookmarked it).
The chartered sailboat sounds like a dream! But more affordable, I would stick to the ferry schedule.
Research and pick your 2 or 3 islands you want to visit.
In 2005, we spent a few days on Tortola before out week in STJ. We found it very different than the USVI, much less commercialized.
I think it is one of those places you have to go to, then go home and let those memories come back to you...it made us want to go back there again! And Jost, well I have wanted to go there for more that 3 hours(have only done day trips).
So we are foregoing Chirstmas gifts this year and have 3 nights booked at Cane Garden Bay and 2 nights at White Bay. To get a look at another island, we are thinking of doing a daytrip to Anegada. The best way to do that is by a chartered daytrip, someone posted a link for.
Then there is Virgin Gorda, and I think they have pretty regular ferry service to that island. I think if you do the ferry thing, you will have more time as they tend to leave port early in the am, and bring you home later in the afternoon. Have fun....
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM

We're doing 3 nights in Cane Garden Bay on Tortola, and then 3 at the Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke...and we can't resist heading back to St. John for our last 4 nights! Happy planning!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM

LittleSalty
When are you going to be on tortolaJVD? We are there jan 4 - 9. We tried for Sandcastles, nothing available!! That was a couple of months ago and we were willing to go mid week, or anytime there was an availabliity! I will just be happy to be there!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

You can do daytrips easily from Tortola.
Seems like moving every two days would be a huge pain. Sounds like a sailboat would be perfect for you. Look at Lionheart out of Tortola, it has gotton some good press in this forum.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Mahobaygirl, I love your idea of skipping the Christmas gift giving rush. I hope you have a wonderful time on Jost! My husband and I did something similar a couple of years ago when we went to Jamaica during high season for a special treat (we almost always travel during the summer).

And if I may piggyback on this post for a bit. I'll be going to Virgin Gorda this summer to stay for the first time with husband and granddaughter. Our main priority is to enjoy the snorkeling. With that in mind, do you think it's worth it to do a day trip to Anegada from Virgin Gorda? Are there any beaches on Anegada that could provide shade on the beach for my husband to read while granddaughter and I snorkel to our hearts' content?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM

We're headed to the BVI at the end of June. I guess we were able to book the Sandcastle since it's low season!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Taking a ferry is definitely the way to go. We are headed back to Virgin Gorda next week. Flying into Tortola (Beef Island) and taking the North Sound Express over. Very easy and quick and not to expensive.

It really is not difficult to get between the islands. A good site is www.bviwelcome.com
under info. it lists ferry schedules and tons of other info. about lodging and restaurants, etc.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM

ej-according to the BVI tourism site Anegada "powdery white sand beaches surrounded by coconut groves and sea grapes"!! Looks like you all may be happy!
We are looking into a day trip to Anegada from Tortola, the snorkeling sounds great when reading about it, it says the island is surrounded by a horseshoe reef, check out that website!