Search

Buses on St. Maarten

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Herman_Huang

Buses on St. Maarten

Has anyone been on the buses on St. Maarten? How often do they run? Is there a website where I can look up specific routes and schedules?

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never ridden them myself, but I have been stuck behind them plenty. They can be hot, sometimes crowded, and seem to stop at every single telephone poll on the island. They aren't like typical "buses" in the US, but are rather mini-vans that get local people from point A to point B.

I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can get specific route info, but there are several routes and the route is always noted on the front windshield of the bus....generally area to area on the island.

If you are there longer than a day, I would highly suggest renting a car over using the bus. If you are there for only a day, then I would suggest hiring a cab over the bus. I know some people like to experience the local culture and I like to do the same when traveling, but the busses on St. Maarten will honestly use a lot of your precious vacation time. Just my opinion.

Perhaps someone who has used the buses themselves could give you further info.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Herman_Huang

Thanks, Statia.

I've heard that rental cars are marked as such and tourists fall prey to muggers and cars get vandalized. How concerned should I be about that? What's the driving experience like, compared to the USA? (roads, other drivers) Will a US driver's license and liability insurance work?

I've gotten the impression that cabs cost more than in the US for comparable distances?

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is true that rental cars are more targeted for break-ins, but I personally would be even more concerned about crime with riding the public bus.

I have rented cars and driven on St. Maarten for 13 years and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. The main thing is to be vigilant about security. Don't park in "iffy looking" areas, lock your doors, don't keep any valuables in the car at all, and keep your doors locked when driving around at night.

The roads are fine and it is fairly easy to get around since there is really one main road all the way around the island. Get a map or two at the airport when you arrive and study it a bit to get your bearings of how to get around to where you want.

Traffic can be awful at peak times, so be sure to factor that into your plans, as well.

Your US license will be fine, but I would suggest using the rental car company's insurance. I have heard some stories about people needing to make claims on their insurance in the US, or on their credit card supplied insurance, and it was a nightmare. I'm sure other people have had no problems, but I just take the rental company's liablility to avoid any problems later if I had to make a claim.

Yes, cabs are more expensive, so if you are there more than a day I would suggest renting a car. I have used all the companies over there at some point in time and have now stuck with Best Deal for several years. I've always been happy with their prices, service, location, etc.

http://www.bestdealcarrental.com/