Car rental on St Barth

Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Herman_Huang

Car rental on St Barth

Hi, does anyone have any experiences with renting a car on St Barth? What are the road conditions and other drivers like? Is the airport the only place where cars can be rented? Are a US driver's license and liability insurance valid? Are the cars marked as rental cars - I don't want to fall prey to robbers and vandals! Thanks!

Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Roads on St. Barth's are, overall, in good condition and well maintained. They are narrow, twisty and hilly. Other drivers, are well, like other drivers all over the world - some are courteous others are not.

I don't recall if rental cars are "marked" but crime is virtually non-existent on St. Barth's so if you use common sense it should be an issue. As one of the locals proudly pointed out to us - they don't allow "those kind of people" on the island.

You can rent cars at several places in Gustavia. Sorry can't answer your question about the license and insurance.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM

Sorry for the typo, regarding the "marking" of the rental cars the response should say "...that shouldn't be an issue".
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM

The most common rental in St Barth seems to be the Jeep Wrangler and Suzuki Side Kick types. Most people just leave the windows down, roof off, etc. So, I would say crime isn't much of an issue. But, I wouldn't leave anything of interest in the vehicle. I think most have rental agency stickers on them.
We made a car rental reservation with Europcar and the owner Bertron (sp?) even met us at the boat arrival in Gustavia.
We rented using our US license. I don't know about the insurance.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
RAB

The main adjustment to driving on St. Bart's is the narrow roads if you are not used to them. I find the smaller the vehicle the better. Other drivers should not be a problem although you will find locals passing on hills and curves where you wouldn't, but they presumably know the roads. Speeds, however, tend to be slow because of said curves. Motor cyclists can be an annoyance. Your US licence is fine; your insurance probably is not but check with your company. Many credit cards cover collision, but not liability. There may be some petty crime, but St.Bart's is considered pretty safe.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM

Herman, we rented a Daihatsu Terios on St. Barts in May. Everyone will give you different advice, but St. Barts is VERY hilly and we felt that a four wheel drive was a definite plus, especially in the rain (we didn't have any in May). We went with Soleil Caraibe (at the airport). I couldn't have been happier, especially since we had a small fender-bender right in the airport parking lot. Yvette was so gracious, insisting that we not let it spoil our vacation, that everything would be OK, etc. etc. In fact, we found all the locals to be incredibly polite. They don't even lock the villas, let alone the cars. We felt the safest on St. Barts than anywhere else we traveled. Here is the website, if you want to check out their prices. I found them to be very good.
http://www.st-barths.com/soleil-caraibe/index.html