But are they really on the beach........

Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

But are they really on the beach........

Hi all!
My Dh and I will be going to Grand Bahama for a wedding, but before that we wanted to explore the Abacos some......first timers there and I can't really tell from some of the hotel websites whether they are actually on the beach or not. For instance, I have heard good things about Abaco Inn but from the website it looks rocky outside of the hotel and also Treasure Cay looks more like a marina on the website. We have narrowed it to the following, but would like it to have a great view of clear water and cost less than $250 per night. We will be renting a boat and plan on exploring, however want nice location to be able to chill at as well. The choices are Abaco Inn, Sea Spray, Treasure Cay Resort, Hopetown Harbor Lodge, Guana Seaside (is it open?), or Dolphin Beach.....any help would be appreciated!!
Anastasia
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM

I haven't been to all of the places, but have stayed at a couple of them, so here's what I know:

Abaco Inn is directly on a beautiful ocean beach. However, the entrance to the water can be coral-bound/rocky in this area, so while it's ideal for walking, it's not perfect for swimming.

Seaspray Resort -- ditto what I said about the Abaco Inn. FWIW, Seaspray is a not-too-bad walk to Tahiti Beach, which is the stuff of dreams.

Hopetown Harbour Lodge -- this is also right on a stunning Atlantic Ocean beach. However, here the entry is sandy. Good for swimming, though a bit lively because of the surf. When the seas calm down, you can snorkel on the reef just offshore.

For more information, check out the Abaco Community Message Board at www.coconuttelegraph.net.

Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Callaloo!
Out of those three do you have a favorite as far as views, pool, beach, location? We will only be there for 3 days and plan to snorkel/dive, explore by boat, walk on the beach, eat and drink and relax.
Thanks for your input!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM

Yes, Guana Seaside is closed. You would greatly enjoy Dolphin Beach. Guana Cay also has great beaches. Especially out in front of Nipper's which is a great place to go.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM

For a quick taste of the Abacos, I would suggest Hopetown Harbour Lodge. Not only does it have the beach, but it's also walking distance to Hopetown iteslf, which is a charming village with restaurants, bars, and shopping. Also think about taking a boat trip to some of the other cays -- I think Froggie's offers trips. That way, you can check out one of the more isolated beaches. You may also want to rent a golf cart for a day -- Tahiti Beach is worth a visit, and you might want to stop at Seaspray or Abaco Inn on the way there or back.

Like AbacoPeach, I love Great Guana Cay. But in terms of seeing as much of Abaco as you can in 3 days, Elbow Cay has a little more to offer.

Search this Thread