Blue Lagoon Villas

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:51 PM
tracy

Blue Lagoon Villas

Has anyone seen or stayed at the Blue Lagoon Villas in Port Antonia Jamaica?

I am interested for my honeymoon - but have seen only limited pictures on the net.

Any remarks appreciated!!!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:28 AM
tivertonhouse

Depending on season and villa, rates run about US$7000/and up per villa --
all of which are strung like a white wedding cake along the blue lagoon which opens out to the sea. See cvoa.com and you may find some bargains,incl.airfare. Portee is one of the best honeymoon destinations on island--away from touristland, real Jamaica, lush,green, waterfalls,raft trips, excursions into blue mt coffee bean plantations ,to long bay and boston's bay,the original home of 'jerk pork'. You'll need fly through Kingston
and then FLY into Port Antonio -- the road trip over is long,if wild beautiful natural country. The town gets jumping during Oct.marlin tournament season and you'll need watch for rainy season/nov-dec can bring heavy rains. Plan to stay at least 10 days since you'll loose a day of travel either end.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:34 AM
tivertonhouse

For a Hollywoodized but fairly good sense of the town, see the old Denzel Washington film shot in Portee called 'The Mighty Quinn';the hotel in the film is The Trident. The old Tom Cruise film 'Cocktail' also has a short sequence in Portee;he stays in a villa on the Blue Lagoon and works at a bar now at Dragon Bay...

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Andrea

Tracy, I have to say tivertonhouse's advice is quite good. My last trip to Port Antonio was in 1999 and we stayed at Hotel Mocking Bird Hill for 2 Days and Dragon Bay for 5 Days.

Somehow I just love Port Antonio. No matter where on the island I stay, I always go out of my way to journey to Port Antonio. For example, one year, '98 we spent the first leg of our trip in Negril, the 2nd leg in Ocho Rios and the final leg in Port Antonio.

If you can afford the Blue Lagoon villa, then go for it! The location is rather nice...right on the water. I have gone there just to hang out on each trip. You probably haven't seen much about the villas since they are such an exclusive resort.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 01:21 AM
tivertonhouse

ANDREAince you addicted to Portee like I am, would be interested in your views of Mockingbird Hill;noted that you stayed there 2 nights b4 moving on to Dragon Bay. Thanks...

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:02 AM
tivertonhouse

TRACY -- For more info on the villas, check The Owners' Syndicate. E-mail
[email protected] or see www.ownerssyndicate.com. There are sometimes air/package discounts, but generally from the UK...

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Andrea

Message to tivetonhouse re: Hotel Mocking Bird Hill...
Well, we chose to stay there because I was curious. It was an interesting experience. If you know where it is physically, you will then know that it is located up on Fairy Hill.... I mean waaaaay up! It's the type of resort for someone who is extremely burned-out for stress, etc since there are absolutely NO activities. It's basically the places where you sleep, get up and eat and walk the grounds, which are rather hilly.

I found the price to be a bit high, condisering the amenities are basic. Again, I didn't encounter any Americans there. I always tell folks that if they choose MBH, that 2-3 days would be enough before moving to a livelier place.

Also, the restaurant there is very expensive.

Again, I am not complaining, I just thought that their rates (at the time) sould be less expensive.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:27 AM
tivertonhouse

Andrea--Thanks. They'd approached us to rep them but it just wasn't our kind of place either...