Best shore snorkeling?

Jul 30th, 1998, 07:06 PM
Pam Heldenbrand

Best shore snorkeling?

We've snorkeled in Moorea and Zihuatenejo, now we want to try the Caribbean. We'd like to wander out of our lodgings in the morning and fall into the water to snorkel.

What's the best island for a laid back snorkeler's paradise - Bonaire, Grand Cayman, or ?

Post here or e-mail me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Aug 3rd, 1998, 09:41 AM
Cheri

Without a doubt...Bonaire. We were there in April/ May and it was wondeful...just wander out your door and shore snorkel. You can shore snorkel almost anywhere on the island. If you want more info, email me.

Aug 3rd, 1998, 11:21 AM
Ron

I agree Bonaire is tops. Do take a boat and snorkel Klein Bonaire while you are there, as well as all the great shore snorkeling

Aug 3rd, 1998, 11:09 PM
Pam Heldenbrand

Ron & Cherie,

Any recommendations on places to stay?

Aug 4th, 1998, 10:44 AM
Michel

I have two suggestions. The first is Club Oasis Akumal on the Mayan Coast of Mexico. The second is Point Village, near Negril in Jamaica. Both offer great snorkeling from the beach, as well as great food, service, activities, accommodations...

Aug 6th, 1998, 04:35 AM
Diana Gevers

Bonaire has wonderfulk snorkeling and 2 years ago we introduced the Guided Snorkeling Program, which includes a educational aspect to the snorkeling. Do visit hte official Bonaire web site at www.bonaire.org.
Any questions, you can contact me direct,

Aug 10th, 1998, 02:13 PM
john

Another place you might want to try is the underwater marine park off the beach at Anse Chastenet St. Lucia...Just got back from Zihaut. did not like the snorkling at all!!....In St. Lucia, even my wife snorkled for hours at a time!..mail if you need more info.

Aug 16th, 1998, 02:48 PM
Pam Heldenbrand

Thanks for the responses. You've given me much food for thought.

John, I agree about the snorkeling at Zihuatanejo - not very good, but we had a fabulouse time at Villa del Sol.

Has anyone stayed at Marina Cay in BVI? How's the food?

Aug 16th, 1998, 03:02 PM
Cheri

Pam, we stayed at the Plaza and it was nice.

Aug 17th, 1998, 02:56 PM
Ron

Stayed at Sanddollar condos they have nice studio ,1,2 bedroom units all ocean view

Aug 18th, 1998, 06:41 AM
Cheri

SandDollar is nice too, their food is better(especially Mexican at lunch!) but they don't have any beach.

Aug 19th, 1998, 12:05 PM
Karen

Bonaire is IT! We stay at Captain Don's Habitat. Two years now and this winter again. It's beautiful with restaurant, pool and 2 bars on sight. VERY nice accomodations and excellent service, great menu. Experienced, carefull dive masters. Little sand beach right there with THE BEST snorkeling, better even than Klein Bonaire and that is not to be missed. If you want more, just ask. I LOVE BONAIRE. Karen ([email protected])

Aug 19th, 1998, 04:12 PM
Cheri

Hey Karen, are you following me or am I following you!

Aug 20th, 1998, 07:34 AM
Barb

My husband and I were in Bonaire 20 years ago and are planning to go back in the spring 1999. We have received a brochure, as well as I have checked their web site, the Harbour Village. It looks like it would be a great place to stay. We are not divers, but do love to snorkle. I have also seen some positive postings about Captain Don's Habitat. My recollection is that it is only a diver's heaven, and that the accommodations are not the best. But Karen wrote and said Captain Don's is Great. Please give your opinions on are prospective selections. Thanks.

Aug 20th, 1998, 10:44 AM
Karen

Don's has really changed. They have a beautiful hotel now and 10 or more villas. Last year thay began building several cottages on the resort but construction is done on Bonaire time, didn't even notice it. As for being a diver's paradise, I don't dive and am more than content with the snorkeling right there at the resort. Don't miss Thursday night at the Tiki bar. The Kunuku Band plays and even the locals come to dance. They are a couple of American musicians that somehow capture Bonaire perfectly. We bought their CD and play it when winter gets too long. I am quite partial to my comforts and have never been happier anywhere.

Hi Cheri. Great minds think alike! K

Aug 20th, 1998, 12:20 PM
Cheri

Karen, how is the beach at Don's? I have to have SOME beach!

Aug 20th, 1998, 01:16 PM
Karen

I'd GUESS that Don's beach is about 30 ft long and about 15 ft deep. Maybe more. Not huge by any stretch but large enough to lay on, build a castle, or picnic with the iguanas. I'm notoriously bad at judging distance. Nice white sand though and a cut through the coral so you can swim out there and really see some stuff. My husband says to tell you there is another beach 10 minutes walk north of Don's that is a BIG, white sand beach with sunbathers about. I didn't go there. Once I'm on the patio at the villa I enter my lizard phase.

Aug 21st, 1998, 08:02 AM
Cheri

Thanks, I know what you mean, I can't judge distance at all. The plaza had a good sized beach by Bonaire standards. The sand was really rough tho. By the time we walked to the other end of it I was whining about my feet.