best resort in Grenadines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are scheduling a 5 days sailing cruise from Martinique to Grenadines in february with a final stop for 2/3 days to rest in a resort near Tobago cays.What are your recommendations between Raffles or Tamarind in Canouan,Palm island,PetitStVincent,CottonHouse in Moustique, Salt Whistle Bay Resort in Mayreau or any other suggestion?Thank you
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:09 AM

Salt Whistle Bay
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:04 PM

Did you look at Firefly in Mustique? Please do, although with only four accommodations there may not be availability for your time. Worth a look, though.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:36 AM

I agree with Vincygirl. Saltwhistle Bay would be a good choice. Also consider BigSands Hotel on Union Island. Mustique is rather too far for easy access to the Cays. Check out the reviews for Raffles and Tamarind on www.tripadvisor.com.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Depends on what type of accommodations and island experience you are looking for. I've done some reviews at www.scubamom.com/grenadines/
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Still say Salt Whistle Bay. Close to Tobago Cays. Beautiful setting and people on Mayreau are some of the nicest I've ever met.
Sandy
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
owa

vinceygirl, You have me really interested in Salt Whistle Bay for November 2006. Is that a good month to go? Is it the only resort you would stay at on Mayreau? I'm willing to take the risks for traveling that time of year. We were in Bequia two years ago and didn't make it to the Tobago Cays. It is on the top of our list. Thanks, Owa

There aren't many rooms. Will I have to book far, far in advance?

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM

It is the only resort on Mayreau. Really neat place. Check out trip advisor and St. Vincent Grenadines tourism. I have never stayed in the resort but have visited a few times for food and drinks. I visit with Windjammer Barefoot cruises. If you decide to stay there don't just stay at the resort, check out the rest of the island. The church and school at the top of the hill. They do so much with so little. The view on the way back down the hill is absolutely priceless. WJ docks on the other side of the island from SWB, I hiked the hill to the other side towards SWB all I will say is going up the hill took my breath away because I'm so darn out of shape, The hike was worth every step and breath to come down the other side. Well you just gotta see it for yourself. Raffles is really exclusive, Donald Trump has his habnd in it. There is a web site to visit Trump properties that tells you about Raffles. I have never stayed at Tamarind either but have had food and drinks. I just like Mayreau better than Canouan.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM

I'm headed to the Grenadines Dec 2, Sailing on the WJ's Yankee Clipper. The itinerary usually visits Mayreau. One of the bartenders is from the island. If you don't find the answers you are looking for before Dec I would be happy to ask around. Post before I leave and I will answer when I return after Dec 12.
Sandy
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM
owa

Sandy, How kind of you. I'll take any information you can give me. I would like to know if there is off beach snorkeling on Mayreau. We will take trips, but it would be nice if I can just go anytime. I definitely can wait. We are going to Jamaica Inn at the end of October for five nights and then on to Grand Cayman to snorkel. In December, we are going to try snorkeling on Vieques. I'm snorkel crazy. Thanks, Sharon

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM

Owa: re snorkelling on Mayreau. Yup definitely but nowhere near as impressive as what you will find on the Cays nearby. Saltwhistle Bay has some snorkelling around the rocks where sailboats enter. Also both ends of Saline Bay on the other side of the island are pretty interesting. The north end of the Bay is a bit more challenging owing to current. On the south end, I've seen squid, spotted drum, very large spotted trunkfish, moray (both spotted and green), as well the usual reef life.