Canouan Raffles Carenage Bay Grenadines

Mar 18th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Canouan Raffles Carenage Bay Grenadines

Hello everyone,
My fiance and I are interested in going to the Raffles resort on Canouan that used to be called Carenage Bay and is set to open in a few months. The island is known for its surrounding reefs. Does anyone know if the snorkeling from the resort's beaches is good (i.e. the reefs actually are within swimming distance from the resort's beaches) or would you have to rent a car to go somewhere else? I want to be able to have a great snorkeling experience without having to take a trip. We're also considering St. John (Caneel Bay) but the rooms there don't excite my fiance like the ones at Raffles. Thank you!
Mar 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM

I haven't snorkelled in Canouan but you are a short boat ride away from the Tobago Cays, some of the best snorkelling going. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the Cays while you are in the Grenadines.
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Curiousx! It's hard to find people who've actually been here!
Mar 19th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Sunnyboy

I was there in '98 for a brief stay when it was the Carenage Bay Beach & Golf Resort. The accomodations are very well appointed and the sataff was helpful and attentive. There was an air of "suffiness" among some of the european staff members. At the time the resort consisted of primarily "privately owned" units that the management rented out when the owners were not there. It was a full service, upscale resort with all the amenities. I remember it as being very uncrowded. Most units were on the hillside with views of both the golfcourse and Caribbean from the blaconies and terraces. The units are set back quite far from the beach. Canouan is a very small island (there are only two other small hotels on the island) and there is not a lot to do, exceot sitting on the beach, playing golf, reading and swimming. Touring the island, if I remember correctly, took about an hour. There are some very nice beaches around the island with decent snorkling. Like curiousx said the best snorkling is at the Tobaco Cays and the hotel will arrange for a boat to take you there. If I'm not mistaken there was a catamaran tour that went there several times a week. This is a place you go "to get away from it all". If you are seeking lots of night life and a wide range of daily activities you might be disappointed.

Mar 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Hi, were are also looking at that resort, however, make sure you check the airline schedules before making your plans. We are finding it extremely difficult to get there without changing planes several times so we are waiting as we assume more flights may come online when the resort opens.
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sunnyboy and eileen!